Rear View Compass

Are all the compass components enclosed in the rear view mirror? If so, could you install a rear view mirror (with compass) from a GS430 into a GS400 with out having a separate control box or extra wiring? Thanks.

Are all the compass components enclosed in the rear view mirror? If so, could you install a rear view mirror (with compass) from a GS430 into a GS400 with out having a separate control box or extra wiring? Thanks.

i could be wrong, but my 2001 gs430 has NO compass in the mirror! let me go look!

brian

What the hell?! My 2001 GS300 has the compass and it has the ML with HID package. The official Lexus what's new about the 01 GS says that one thing that's new is the compass in the mirror. Did you buy the car used? Because maybe someone swapped out on you.

What the hell?! My 2001 GS300 has the compass and it has the ML with HID package. The official Lexus what's new about the 01 GS says that one thing that's new is the compass in the mirror. Did you buy the car used? Because maybe someone swapped out on you.

source please? and no i didnt buy it new. whose gonna swap out a compass mirror? sorry no high demand for these that i am aware of! can u send me a pic of YOUR car with the ml and nav package with the compass mirror? funny i didnt know the HID/ML package was even a option together on the gs300. i guess it would make sense though! u have a speaker on the dash above the a/c vents?

brian

See below for the page. This page has been discontinued as far as I know because it was on the Lexus CPO page and they do not sell anything as old as 2001 now. In it under packages there is a Mark Levinson package that includes HID. At the end where it says changes made to 2001 GS300 Compass is listed. If the link doesn't work I'll cut and paste. I have a new grey mirror with compass that I was going to put on my 98 but I sold it before doing that mod.

No, that's right. I found the answer below. If you have navigation, the compass is in the navigation screen! It's listed under luxury & convenience. Mystery solved :D

The 2001 GS 300 will have significant feature enhancements over the previous model years.

Imagine the unbridled power of a world-class sport sedan, combined with the smooth and dependable performance of a Lexus. Built for speed with a screaming 220-horsepower engine and aerodynamic styling, the amenities of the GS 300's spacious interior help to keep everything quiet on the inside. New for 2001 is the five-speed automatic transmission with E-shift.

New exterior colors: Black Cherry Pearl, Mystic Sea Opalescent, Midnight Pine Pearl and Blue Onyx Pearl replace Antique Bronze Mica, Imperial Jade Mica and Spectra Blue Mica.

With its combination of irresistible force and attention-grabbing styling, the 2001 GS 300 owns the road.

Safety Equipment

- Vehicle Skid Control (VSC)[1]

- Brake Assist[2]

- Driver's and front passenger's airbag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS)[3]

- Front seat-mounted side-impact airbags (SRS)[3]

- Front and rear side-curtain airbags (SRS)[3]

- Three-point seatbelts, front and rear, fronts with height-adjustable anchors, pre-tensioners and force limiters

- Strong cabin structure with front and rear crumple zones

- Side-impact door beams

- Four-channel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)

- Vehicle theft-deterrent and engine immobilizer system, with in-key transponder

- Variable intermittent windshield wipers with mist cycle

- Halogen headlamps with integrated foglamps

- Automatic on/off headlamps

- Daytime running lights

- Rear-window defogger with auto-off timer

- First aid kit

- Child Restraint Seat (CRS) tether anchor brackets for all rear seating positions

- Water-repellent door glass

- Impact-detecting door-lock release system

Luxury & Convenience

- Walnut interior trim

- Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob

- Lexus AM/FM/cassette seven-speaker 96-watt (@ 0.1% THD) Premium Sound System with Automatic Sound Levelizer (ASL)

- Power windows with one-touch auto open/close feature with pinch protection

- Cruise control

- Automatic dual-zone climate control with interior air filter, smog sensor and automatic recirculation mode

- Outside temperature gauge

- Electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside mirror with compass and outside mirrors (on vehicles equipped with the Lexus DVD Navigation System,[4] compass display is on navigation screen)

- Multifunction remote entry system

- Three-way programmable transmitter to activate garage door, driveway gate

- Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column with automatic tilt-away

- Multi-adjustable power front seats and headrests

- Power door locks with driver's two-turn unlock feature

- Remote trunk-lid and fuel-filler door releases

- Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors

- Sliding left and right sun visors

- Floor mats

- Dual front and rear cupholders

- Illuminated entry system

- Retained accessory power

- Dual-compartment center console with accessory power outlet and Lexus Dual-Mode Mobile Phone storage capability

- Headrests for all seats, including rear-center

Available Options

Premium Package

- Leather interior trim

- Lexus Memory System for power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel

- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade

- In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer

Mark Levinson® Audio System Package

- Mark Levinson® 10-speaker 240-watt[5] Premium Sound System

- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade

- Heated front seats

- Leather interior trim

- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling

- Lexus Memory System for power driver's seat (except lumbar), outside mirrors and steering wheel

Navigation System Package

- Lexus DVD Navigation System[4]

- Power tilt-and-slide moonroof with one-touch open/close, pinch protection and sliding sunshade

- Leather interior trim

- Heated front seats

Navigation System/Mark Levinson® Audio System Package

- Lexus DVD Navigation System[4]

- Leather interior trim

- Heated front seats

Individual Options

- Heated front seats (requires leather trim or Premium Package)

- Lexus Dual-Mode Mobile Phone with Command Module and audio muting

- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps with dynamic auto leveling

- Lexus Chrome Wheels

- All-season tires (no-cost option)

- Wheel locks

- Gold trim kit

- Car cover

- Cargo net

- Trunk mat

- Front-end mask

Dimensions

- Overall length 189.2 in

- Width 70.9 in

- Height 55.9 in

- Wheelbase 110.2 in

- Curb weight 3,650 lb

- Fuel-tank capacity 19.8 gallons

Engine

- In-line 6, iron block, aluminum head, certified Low-Emission Vehicle (LEV)

- Horsepower at rpm 220 hp @ 5,800

- Torque at rpm 220 lb-ft @ 3,800

Transmission

- Five-speed automatic Electronically Controlled Transmission with intelligence (ECT-i). E-shift, with controls on steering wheel. Overdrive fifth gear, auto-select shift program, engine/transmission networking, flex-lockup torque converter

Performance

- 0-60 mph acceleration 7.8 seconds[6]

- 1/4-mile acceleration 15.8 seconds[6]

- Top track speed 144 mph[6]

- Fuel consumption 18/24 mpg city/highway[7]

- Aerodynamic drag coefficient 0.29

Changes Made To The 2001 GS 300

Standard Features:

- E-shift with controls on steering wheel

- Revised headlamps, grille and rear combination lamps for sportier look

- New wheel design

- Front and rear side-curtain airbags (SRS)[3]

- Compass

- Water-repellent door glass

- Lower rigid bar Child Restraint Seat (CRS) anchor

- Larger exposed dual exhaust

- Glass markings changed to "Lexus"

- Fuel cap tether

- Two front-assist grips

- Impact-detecting door-lock release system

Optional Features:

- Mark Levinson® Premium Sound System

- High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps

[1] Lexus Vehicle Skid Control (VSC) is an electronic system designed to help the driver maintain vehicle control under adverse conditions. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Factors including speed, road conditions and driver steering input can all affect whether VSC will be effective in preventing a loss of control. Please see your Owner's Manual for further instructions.

[2] Brake Assist is designed to help the driver take full advantage of the benefits of ABS. It is not a substitute for safe driving practices. Braking effectiveness also depends on proper brake-system maintenance and tire and road conditions.

[3] The Lexus driver's, front passenger's, front seat-mounted side-impact, and side-curtain airbags are a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). The driver's and front passenger's airbags are designed to inflate in a severe frontal collision. The side-impact and side-curtain airbags are designed to inflate in a severe side-impact collision. In all other accidents, the airbags will not inflate. To decrease the risk of injury from a deploying airbag, always wear seatbelts, sit upright in the middle of the seat, and do not lean against the door. Do not put objects in front of an airbag or around the seatback. Do not use rearward-facing child seats in any front passenger seat. The force of a deploying airbag SRS may cause serious injury. Please see your Owner's Manual for further instructions.

[4] The Lexus DVD Navigation System is designed to assist in locating an address or point of interest. Discrepancies may be encountered between the system and your actual location. Changes in street names, road closures, traffic flow or other road system changes may affect the accuracy of the mapping software. Rely upon your common sense to decide whether or not to follow a specified route. Detailed coverage not available in every city. Optional periodic geographic updates available at an additional cost. See your Navigation Owner's Manual and your Lexus dealer for further details.

[5] Continuous average power, all channels driven, at 0.01% THD; 20-20,000 Hz.

[6] These performance capacity figures are for comparison only and were obtained with prototype vehicles by professional drivers using special safety equipment and procedures. These should not be attempted on public streets or highways.

[7] 2001 EPA-estimated mpg. See your Lexus dealer for details.

Specific options may be available only in combination with other options. Specifications, equipment, technical data, production processes, photos and illustrations based on information at time of posting, and subject to change without notice. For more information, call 800-USA-LEXUS (800-872-5398). Lexus reminds you to wear seatbelts, secure children in rear seat, obey all traffic laws and drive responsibly.