What Does It Take To Convert Non Hid Head Lights To Oem Hid Headlights

herblenny

I'm a newb to RX330...

I recently purchased an 2005 RX330 for my wife and I would love to convert the stock halogen headlights to HID. I was wondering what it would take to convert to OEM headlight system?? Does it only take the housings, bulbs, and ballasts?? Or is there something else to it??

I rather goe with OEM stuff vs. 9006 HID retrofit.

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know, that's about all it takes. You can go the factory OEM route, but unless you find it used, that's going to be quite pricey, and probably a dealer-only item. There are many good conversion kits out there for a great price, and they are designed to retrofit the stock halogen system, so all the connectors match. It seems like that would be the best/easiest/cleanest/most-economical route to me.

Here are a few options... most look pretty much plug-n-play.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-HID-EX...emZ360096287914

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=370093920400

Interesting, I did not know the RX 330 comes with a halogen plane bulb. I thought they were all Factory HIDS that MOVE up and DOWN.

I would just buy a regular HID kit and install it, instead of going the OEM extremely expensive route.

What about for an 02? I know you can get the bulbs/ballast/wiring kits, but what about the actual projection lamps? If you put in just the bulbs you will blind everyone. I have only found 1 seller offering a pair of projection beams and they come from Tawain and they want 600 bucks for them!!! There has to be other companies that sell them but I have not found any, does anyone know of an aftermarket projection headlamp for a decent price?

Ok, I found this and I am confused:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00-01-02...d=p4506.c0.m245

I have seen several of these that say they are the Xenon HID lamp but they look like they have reflectors to me, so how did it come factory with reflector lenses and HID??? I thought all HID had to have projection lamps, am I wrong? I am thinking of retrofitting a couple of projectors into normal lamps, but this looks like the ticket if it works, can anyone help me out? Thanks.

I know there are a lot of non-Xenon projectors, for I had them in my BMW, but I don't know if all Xenon headlights came out factory as projectors.

I didn't know Xenon conversion kits were illegal in most states. I thought it was just the 10K and 12K colors, since they are too dark.

I don't know why reflector headlights with Xenon bulbs would be any more bright or blinding that projectors with Xenon... projectors just direct the light with a more refined and directable pattern... should be the same intensity though (based on the bulbs you have).

Here is a posting from SEMA (Specialty Equipment Market Association). Note that this covers aftermarket tail lights and other external illuminaion as well (smoked covers, LED's, clear covers). I'm trying to find an article I read where insurance companies are denying claims for coverage on vehicles that have replaced stock lighting with aftermarket. They cite that the replacements affected the effectiveness of the lighting and thus contributed to the accident.

Government Clamps Down on HID Conversion Kits

NHTSA Does Not Recognize “For Off-Road Use Only” Disclaimer

As SEMA has reported in the past, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity-discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions.

The NHTSA has concluded that it’s impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The non-compliant kits frequently include an HID bulb, ballast, igniter, relay and wiring-harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Halogen equipment uses an electrical current to heat a metal wire-coil filament to incandescence, while the HID conversion-kit’s light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce light. HIDs require a ballast for operation. Under FMVSS No. 108’s Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1’s wire-coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc…) with incandescent light-source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc…) should be aware that this light-source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108 and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

The NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer “for off-road use only” has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency, as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale that is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard

On a related topic, the NHTSA has also stepped up enforcement against restyled combination lamps that are missing required functions existing on the original-equipment lamps. This would include replacement front- or rear-combination lighting equipment that does not have a required reflector, amber or red light, no “DOT” marking or mismarked wattage. The issue is the same: Any equipment offered for sale that is covered by FMVSS No. 108 must comply with the standard.

SEMA is working with the NHTSA to ensure that the aftermarket lighting-industry’s perspective is heard and, simultaneously, to remind its members to obey the current rules of the road. In this fashion, SEMA members can continue to offer a full range of cutting-edge, compliant motor-vehicle lighting products.

Hmm, interesting read. Thanks for posting it, Gibbie! I took a peek at the FMVSS in question, and yep, they are pretty clear about their matching of replacement parts (found here: http://fmvss108.tripod.com/fmvss108text.htm ). I also found this site, http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html ...which really sheds some 'light' onto why HID retrofits are illegal... it mainly has to do with HID's giving off a different illumination pattern which isn't focused by the Halogen designed reflector, and therefore the light gets spread way too wide. With HID's being brighter, you've got a scattered, less directed, very intense light source blinding everything around it as it goes down the road. Not a good thing, and clearly illegal. Looks like retrofits (not conversions) will be the required path if anyone wants HIDs on their Halogen factory-equipped vehicle.

Good call, Gibbie, and thanks again for posting!