Car Broken Into

lexusagain

Last week while my 04 LS430 was parked in the mall parking lot, it was broken into. It seems, the thief used a screwdriver and hammer to open the lock in the driver side door. Amazingly the alarm did not go off. The only item missing is the owners manual wallet. I have 2 smart keys, one of them opens the trunk while the other one does not.

I'm not sure what was in the owners manual wallet - is there usually a valet key in there? Or is the second remote key the valet key in the '04 LS430. The local lexus dealer tells me that in the '08 model there is a "credit card valet key" which you would put in your wallet and use when parking with valet service. The thing that puzzles me is that the thief did not steal the car if such a key was in the owners manual wallet. Maybe, there is a code in the owners manual which he can use to order a key for the car?

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

The "credit card" keys for my previous 90 and current 00 LS400 can not be used to start the car -- only to unlock the doors, the trunk, and the glove compartment. I'm guessing that the one for your 04 LS430 has the same limitations.

The valet key is not the same as the credit card key -- at least on my 00 LS400. The valet key can run my LS400 but can not unlock the trunk or glove compartment.