Engine Light On

az1103

I was at my Big Bear house this weekend and on the way back my engine light came on although everything seemed just fine... Took into dealer today, they said Knock sensors 1&2 and that they would have to trace..... I insisted on more details... They pulled the plastic engine cover and showed me with a flashlight that there was a cooked rat or squirrel (chipmunk) lying on the engine under the intake manifold.

Please, no laughing!! :( The estimate was 10.5 houts at 125$/hr =1250$ to take off manifold and find eaten wires :o :o

Figure the job doesn't look that hard but will need some help....

First, what to watch out for when taking off manifold?

Second, if I find the damager wire and repair, will the engine light reset itself or do I somehow need to reset the error code - if so how?

Third, If all above is done, what to watch out for in reinstallation ? And for that matter any other advise would be very appreciated!!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update. It turns out the dealer tried to rip me off bigtime. Bought the harness for $39 and installed it myself in a matter of 2 hours work , without having prior experience at it ! a far cry from the 10 hours claimed by the dealer. From now on Newport Lexus in Newport Beach CA and their 2nd store in Irvine will get no business from me! Or any one else I can tell the story to! Saved over $1000 !!!!!!!

Good to hear things worked out.

I had the same problem with rats in a stored Porsche 944. They even chewed through the leather shift boot and had set up home in the interior. What a mess.

Most of the wiring was able to be soldered back together.

There must be something in the wire insulation that tastes good to rodents.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi az1103,

I need some advice or helpful information about this harness thing... I have the sort of the same problem like you described. Some mice or rodents chewed up some of the wires under the hood of my 2006 lx 470, and the local dealer said I likely have to have the harness replaced. They said it is a big job and that they would have to take the whole engine out to replace the harness... and for that they said it would cost me about $7000. I am not sure if it is true or not, or they are trying to rip me off. Per you post, seems like it is an easy replacement... Can you (or someone) give me some pointers? (My email is tdn0114@yahoo.com if you want to contact me directly). Thanks much in advance.