2004 Rx330 Brake Rotor Removal

pnovotny21

I just tried to do a brake job and rotor replacement on my 2004 RX330 and I can't figure out how to get the rotors off of the car. I pulled the tire and removed the caliper assembly but the rotors won't budge. I noticed a large nut in the very center of the rotor. Do I need to remove that as well? I don't seem to have a socket large enough to fit that nut. If I have to remove that nut to get the rotor off please let me know what size socket I need for the job. Thanks for your help!

Funny, I just did the brakes on my RX today. No, you do not need to even touch that drive axle nut. If you look at the image of the slotted rotor in this link, you can see not only the five lug holes, but you'll see two smaller holes... those are your removal holes. I'm not exactly sure of the bolt size/thread, but I had two in my junk bolt-bin that fit perfectly, so it's a common size. They are threaded, and you just run in the right size bolt, and as it seats, it pushes the rotor off the hub. Just screw in the bolts evenly (a little on one side, then a little on the other, then back)... that way the rotor will slide off evenly (if you crank just one bolt, the rotor could wedge at an angle). It should only take a few turns of the bolts to have the rotor dislodge... then it'll slide right off. http://www.meisterschaftmotor.com/images/b...ortstop_250.jpg

I replaced mine with Centric rotors and Akebono pads... and the result is fantastic... smooth even braking with great pedal feel.

Do you have a piston compressor. It's a cheap little tool that really makes compressing the caliper piston back down to accept the new pads a breeze. Prying on it on any way can damage the piston pot.

I've got some pics if needed.

PS, don't forget to grease the pressed metal seats that hold the pads in the caliper frame... that will eliminate the "click" sound prominent when you are shifting from reverse to forward or vice-versa.

Funny, I just did the brakes on my RX today. No, you do not need to even touch that drive axle nut. If you look at the image of the slotted rotor in this link, you can see not only the five lug holes, but you'll see two smaller holes... those are your removal holes. I'm not exactly sure of the bolt size/thread, but I had two in my junk bolt-bin that fit perfectly, so it's a common size. They are threaded, and you just run in the right size bolt, and as it seats, it pushes the rotor off the hub. Just screw in the bolts evenly (a little on one side, then a little on the other, then back)... that way the rotor will slide off evenly (if you crank just one bolt, the rotor could wedge at an angle). It should only take a few turns of the bolts to have the rotor dislodge... then it'll slide right off. http://www.meisterschaftmotor.com/images/b...ortstop_250.jpg

I replaced mine with Centric rotors and Akebono pads... and the result is fantastic... smooth even braking with great pedal feel.

Do you have a piston compressor. It's a cheap little tool that really makes compressing the caliper piston back down to accept the new pads a breeze. Prying on it on any way can damage the piston pot.

I've got some pics if needed.

PS, don't forget to grease the pressed metal seats that hold the pads in the caliper frame... that will eliminate the "click" sound prominent when you are shifting from reverse to forward or vice-versa.

8mm x 1.25 pitch on my 99 RX. I would guess it is the same on the 04 but don't know that for sure.

There ya go... Artbuc is in the know! Also, don't forget to grease your caliper slide bolts. Just pop off the dust boots, slide out the bolt, wipe off the old grease, and regrease with some quality high-heat stable grease. That will ensure even wear on the pads.

Good luck... and be sure to ask if you have any other questions. I've got a few pics from my brake job. Albeit it's a '99, like Artbuc said, they are probably pretty similar... Toyota seems to kind of stick with what works.

• 6 months later...

I'm considering doing front pads on my wife's RX330 (2004) for the first time. I've done many other front brake jobs on other cars. This pretty basic and straightforward? Anything to know other that the aforementioned disc removal trick?

pics and instructions would be VERY appreciated.

THANKS!

It's very straight forward and you aren't going to find anything unexpected doing the job (at least you shouldn't). Here's a thread on the very same topic: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...t=0&start=0 Plus, here's a nice write up on the job: http://clublexus.com/forums/rx-second-gene...eplacement.html

I'm considering doing front pads on my wife's RX330 (2004) for the first time. I've done many other front brake jobs on other cars. This pretty basic and straightforward? Anything to know other that the aforementioned disc removal trick?

pics and instructions would be VERY appreciated.

THANKS!

Can you please provide me with some instructions and pictures for replacing my front brake pads on my RX330 2004?