02' Rx300 Original Nav, Should I Update?

HumbleDragon13

I just bought a 2002 RX300 with NAV. It appears to have the original disk in it still (think its ver 2.1 or something close). I live in the columbus OH area and was wondering if I should invest in a new disk. A lot of new road construction has happened in this area in the last 6 years.

Also, If i were to get a new disk should I go to the dealer and fork over the $300 bucks or is it relatively safe to get a disk off the internet and install myself?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks in advance!

It depends, do you routinely have issues with it navigating you incorrectly or missing roads?

I'd update it personally, buy it online at www.sewellpartsonline.com but wait until next month because version 8.1 comes out.

Well, you could go the alternative route and buy a stand alone GPS unit. That way, updates are done on the interent, you can move the unit from car to car, and you will probably save money in the long run. I have an RX and a 3 series BMW, both without Nav and I don't miss it. I take my TomTom with me in whichever car I drive.

Gary

Thanks for the information, one more question.

I just pre-ordered the 8.1 Update. When it arrives is it as simple to install as putting it in the NAV unit in the trunk or do I have to do some sort of setup or installation? And if I do what are those steps? 2002 RX 300 AWD