Possible Auto Tilt-away Fix Idea

xndr400

I have a '96 LS400 that has been suffering from the dreaded steering column tilt away problem which when the ignition key is inserted or removed the column retracts or tilts part way, instead of fully retracting or extending. After searching through many of the threads here concerning this problem, I decided to do a little research on my car. After reading through the service manual,I removed the column covers and the finish trim and end pad surrounding the ignition key cylinder. Since the system is activated by inserting the key into the cylinder, I started there and located the key unlock warning switch which is attached to the underside of the cylinder with 2 very small screws. I removed the switch, which is a small square of plastic with a half round button on top and 2 wires coming out of the back. I noticed the area around the button was a little dirty, so I wiped it off and pressed the button fully with my thumb. Since the door was open, the key alarm began to sound and the steering column extended fully to it's memory setting. When I released the button, the alarm stopped and the column fully retracted and tilted upward. When I pressed the button again, the column fully extended back to its original setting. In the key cylinder, there is a tumbler that drops down when the key is inserted. This tumbler pushes down on the switch button. The tumbler may have been hanging up because of dirt, so I swabbed the hole where the button fits into with a q-tip and cleaner and gave it a quick shot of compressed air to make sure it was dry and reattached the switch. Now the column retracts and extends like it should.

Personally, I'm not fond of the tilt away feature, so I was looking for a way to deactivate the auto- tilt function without affecting the regular tilt and telescopic functions or other systems, but after spending time with wiring diagrams and talking to friends in Lexus service, I haven't found one. Yet.

Personally, I'm not fond of the tilt away feature, so I was looking for a way to deactivate the auto- tilt function without affecting the regular tilt and telescopic functions or other systems, but after spending time with wiring diagrams and talking to friends in Lexus service, I haven't found one. Yet.

Dont know if this helps but in my 93 there is an "Auto tilt-away" button the stops the auto tilt without disabling the tilt/teliscope functions. Try pressing it(if you have one) :D

Unfortunately, my '96 doesn't have the auto tilt away button. I belive Lexus did away with that feature starting around the 1995 model. And there is no way to re-program the tilt control module (computer) like the newer LS's. It works so I can live with it. I have a leased Chevy I use for my business so the LS sits in the garage and doesn't get used much, so the column motors will probably last a long, long time.