Trailer Wiring Harness Installation

Hi Folks//

Getting ready to take a snowbird trip from Seattle to Phoenix. Have a Draw Tite trailer hitch for the bicycle rack (works fine) and now need to install the wiring harness so I can tow a trailer.

There are several post about the harness installation, but none of them actually includes an installation guide.

Can anyone point me towards an illustrated installation procedure/guide.

thanks,

Fenton House

Hi Folks//

Getting ready to take a snowbird trip from Seattle to Phoenix. Have a Draw Tite trailer hitch for the bicycle rack (works fine) and now need to install the wiring harness so I can tow a trailer.

There are several post about the harness installation, but none of them actually includes an installation guide.

thanks,

Fenton House

First, does your car have a "towing prep" package? If so, just buy the harness from a Lexus dealer (around $80) and see this post about how to install it. You can skip the part about bolting the hitch to the frame.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry254728

If it doesn't have the towing package then the post above has the part number of the converter that is needed to make the trailer lights work on 12 V. I haven't installed a converter but the disassembly directions should lead to the attachment point and the converter should come with instructions on where in the harness to plug it in.

Hi Folks//

thanks,

Fenton House

First, does your car have a "towing prep" package? If so, just buy the harness from a Lexus dealer (around $80) and see this post about how to install it. You can skip the part about bolting the hitch to the frame.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry254728

If it doesn't have the towing package then the post above has the part number of the converter that is needed to make the trailer lights work on 12 V. I haven't installed a converter but the disassembly directions should lead to the attachment point and the converter should come with instructions on where in the harness to plug it in.

GDixon//

Thanks -- it looks like everything I'll need. Yes, the car does have the towing prep package - I get it on every car, primarily for the larger AT cooler. Ordered the harness from Park Place Lexus - about $50 delivered.

regards,

Fenton House