Removing The Engine Cover / Shroud

Chris Parker

I'm going to be looking at buying a used Lexus. How does the engine cover/shroud come off? so I can see the condition of spark plug wires, etc. There doesn't appear to be any screws. Is it a snap off?

There are 3 screws (actually round nuts with "Allen" opening in them) at the very front (towards you as you stand at the front of the vehicle). Don't remember what size they are. Then take the "L" Lexus logo on the center of the cover and twist like your unscrewing it- and, bingo, it's off. You're going to have a tough time finding spark plug wires under there though, because it doesn't have any. It uses COP's (coil on plug) so there are no plug wires. You're not likely to see anything under the cover that is either going to interest you or tell you much about the vehicle. It's not very fancy looking once you get that cover off.

I agree that taking the cover off won't do much. Kind of like kicking the tires. It might make you feel good but doesn't accomplish much. You would be better off taking it to a competent mechanic and have him check for potential sludge. Pull the oil fill cap and try to see down into the head area. In addition, a good test drive will tell you volumes. Do a search on "transmissions" and then read some of the problems that owners are having. It would help though, to know what year and type of vehicle since the RX300s had more engine and transmission problems than the 330s. In addition, from what I read, the 05- and 06 RXs seem to have had fewer issues overall than other years.

Gary