Reprogramming A Remote Key

I have a 1995 Sc 400 and have only one functioning remote key. If I buy a used remote from e-bay, what are the factors involved that would enable this remote to be programmed for my car. Also, can anyone detail how to do it?

K28Marina

I have a 1995 Sc 400 and have only one functioning remote key. If I buy a used remote from e-bay, what are the factors involved that would enable this remote to be programmed for my car. Also, can anyone detail how to do it?

K28Marina

I had the same issue earlier this year on my own 1995 SC400.... it's a two step process for remote keys.

FIRST: if you buy a key, it must be a "blank" so that it can FIRST be cut to your car's locks. If you buy a remote key that has already been cut, you must buy a blank blade for it from the dealer, and it will then have to be cut by the dealer. Call your dealer for the prices for a replacement blank key blade, and the key cutting. My recollection is it was about $75.00 for a blank and the cutting together.

SECOND, the remote must be programmed by a Lexus dealer to enable it to operate your locks remotely. This carries a second charge, and may not be an operation that can be done while you wait. I was told I'd have to leave the key and pick it up the next day. As with most things Lexus, it was expensive. I believe the "programming" of the remote cost about $95.00 when I checked back in March....and may vary between dealers for all I know. Hope this helps.