Misfire On 03 Ls430

Gary K

I have an 03 ls430 with 52000 miles. On cold startup I sometimes get a misfire followed by a check engine light and vsc off indicator. The local Auto zone code reader showed a P0301 cylinder one misfire. I removed and reseated the number one coil and the misfire was ok for a couple weeks put it has returned. Is replacing the coil the most likely fix for this? Also, is there any easy way to get at the plugs other than a long extension and a blind turning. Thanks.

The misfire code is triggered by the crankshaft position sensor detecting an acceleration difference between cylinders - that's how the ECM knows it's number one. The acceleration difference is either spark or fuel - compression problems would be constant. You should check the injector, and have it cleaned professionally. I'd suspect the injector as being slightly fouled before a very intermittent ignition coil.

• 12 years later...

I have had this problem.   In my case it seems to have been a fuel issue.    I had a check engine, with multiple misfire issues on different cylinders and the VSC off.   I had the problem from bad gas,  after my car sat for over a year.   It took driving 2000 miles with lots of fuel injector cleaner, and it finally cleared up.