2004 Ls 430 Stereo/speakers

jasonmckinley

I have a 2004 LS 430 without navigation, so I have the factory Lexus sound system (not Levinson). Prior to owning this car, I had a 96 LS 400 with the premium stereo (Nakamichi) and it sounded much better than this car's system. I took the car to a local shop and asked them about improving the sound and they quoted me around $3,000...... this included a new amp and all new speakers. I don't want to spend that much- I just want the 2004 to sound like the 1996. I'm wondering if anyone knows if just changing out the speakers will have a significant impact or if the factory "amp" is not powerful enough and I need to look into adding a small amp. One thing I don't want is anything after-market such as a new CD player, etc. I want the interior to look the same, just beefing up the sound quality. Any tips are appreciated.

My 97's pioneer system sounds incredible.

I'd say if you're going to change anything at all, Do it all.

If you change the speakers, most likely the stock amps won't be sufficient. If you just change the amps, most likely the stock speakers will be sub-par.

If you're going to upgrade it's best to do it right the first time.