Help! 2000 Rx300 - O2 And Air/fuel/ratio Sensors Replacement

lahermano

Hi guys,

Went to the Lexus dealership for CEL P01701, P1130 and P1150 and they gave a quote for $1200 to change

1. Oxygen sensor

2. two Air fuel ratio sensors.

I thought it is waaaay tooo much and would like to see if i can do it myself.

Here are my questions:

1. Where are these located in the car ? Is there a step-bystep instructions of how to do it ?

How difficult is that job.

2. Where to Buy. (Sewel Lexus has O2 for $139 and Air Fuel ratio sensors for $206 each) factorylexparts has Air fuel ratio for $150

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

Any one ..... pls respond.... thanks very much

Hi guys,

Went to the Lexus dealership for CEL P01701, P1130 and P1150 and they gave a quote for $1200 to change

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

1. Where are these located in the car ? Is there a step-bystep instructions of how to do it ?

2. Where to Buy. (Sewel Lexus has O2 for $139 and Air Fuel ratio sensors for $206 each) factorylexparts has Air fuel ratio for $150

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

laherrmano...

I had a similar problem that has been discussed under VSC/Trac Off/CEL light on. You can search it and find the original topic or maybe find it under my LOC name smyrnagc.

What I found was that the gas cap had gone bad...replaced that and it turned off the check engine light ($7 Auto Zone). I then found, through this forum, that the hose on the back side of the air filter canister had come off (You didn't just have your oil changed did you?...this happens quite frequently when you get your oil changed/air filter checked).

That was what was causing the O2 and Air Fuel Ratio sensor to show bad. I also cleaned the Mass Air FLow Sensor with MAF sensor cleaner (Advance Auto $5). This fixed my problem without the expense of the O2 sensors. You might have a legitimate problem but I would definitely check out these things before spending $1,200. You could also get it done cheaper than at the Lexus dealer.

Let me know if you need any help.

Hal/Tennessee

Thanks Hal.

I will search for the posts.

Well i did the following before going to the Lexus dealer.

1. Cleaned the MAF meter with the CRC cleaner from Autozone. The CEL went away and came back after 10 miles of driving.

2. Noticed very low gas mileage. The full tank of Gas i used to get around 225 miles or so and not it dropped to 140 miles. That tells something is wrong so went to the dealer.

3. Got Oil changed like a month ago, So i dont think that might be an issue, but surely will check the hose on the back side of air filter canister

Looking under the hood, the O2 sensor i believe is in front of the engine, seem like easy to do job myself.

But i cannot fig out where the air fuel sensors are.

Thanks for the reply and I will ask more questions while i learn more.

laherrmano...

I had a similar problem that has been discussed under VSC/Trac Off/CEL light on. You can search it and find the original topic or maybe find it under my LOC name smyrnagc.

What I found was that the gas cap had gone bad...replaced that and it turned off the check engine light ($7 Auto Zone). I then found, through this forum, that the hose on the back side of the air filter canister had come off (You didn't just have your oil changed did you?...this happens quite frequently when you get your oil changed/air filter checked).

That was what was causing the O2 and Air Fuel Ratio sensor to show bad. I also cleaned the Mass Air FLow Sensor with MAF sensor cleaner (Advance Auto $5). This fixed my problem without the expense of the O2 sensors. You might have a legitimate problem but I would definitely check out these things before spending $1,200. You could also get it done cheaper than at the Lexus dealer.

Let me know if you need any help.

Hal/Tennessee

I got out my Haynes manual and cannot find a "air fuel sensor". You might want to post a seperate thread about locating it. You will probably get a quick response.

Here is a AFS on Amazon for $163.95 and it is an original Toyota part....might save you some money if you actually need it.

http://www.amazon.com/OXYGEN-SENSOR-LEXUS-...O/dp/B000PV3QPU

Good luck...

Thanks Hal,

Air fuel ratio Sensor part number is 89467-41011, i found the oem from factorylexparts.com for $150. I want to make sure that i can do it myself before buying them.

Because, lots of these independent shops dosent seem to entertain clients giving them parts to replace.

I am having heck of a time to find an independent shot that will take my parts to replace and charge labor.

BTW, I am in Dallas area.

Thanks for the response.

I got out my Haynes manual and cannot find a "air fuel sensor". You might want to post a seperate thread about locating it. You will probably get a quick response.

Here is a AFS on Amazon for $163.95 and it is an original Toyota part....might save you some money if you actually need it.

Good luck...

Hal,

BTW, Is it easier to replace the O2 sensor ? Is there a how to in the Hynes manual ?

Can you please take a look and let me know what procedure they suggest for replacing O2 sensor.

I just ordered that part and i will attempt to change that myself 2maro or day after.

Thanks

Good luck...

Sure...Looks pretty easy. The thing that I have read, and others warn about, is that they can sometimes be a bugger to get out. The threads tend to freeze up due to the heat. Others suggest getting a lliquid spray that helps loosen/unfreese the threads before trying to take it out.

You also really need a wrench that fits the nut...it seems that it is not a standard size. If you don't have one you can get one from Advance Auto (I think it is...might be Auto Zone) through their "Loan a Tool" program.

Send me your email address and I will scan the Haynes manual procedure for the O2 Sensors and email it to you.

Hal

Thanks Hal,

Please send it to sri_valere@yahoo.com

Thanks very much for the help.

Sure...Looks pretty easy. The thing that I have read, and others warn about, is that they can sometimes be a bugger to get out. The threads tend to freeze up due to the heat. Others suggest getting a lliquid spray that helps loosen/unfreese the threads before trying to take it out.

You also really need a wrench that fits the nut...it seems that it is not a standard size. If you don't have one you can get one from Advance Auto (I think it is...might be Auto Zone) through their "Loan a Tool" program.

Send me your email address and I will scan the Haynes manual procedure for the O2 Sensors and email it to you.

Hal

Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

lahermano- I agree with the other poster- it would be EXTREMELY unusual for all 3 of those to go bad at once- they're expensive and not like engine oil- I wouldn't change them unless they are actually BAD. How many miles on the vehicle?

How does it run? Unless it is running really bad, I would do a little more research , you might find out you spent all that money and effort for nothing. The 1st. codes that come up don't necessarily tell the story, sometimes not at all. Hate to see your pockets turned inside out by the parts fairy and still not solve the problem. Good Luck!

Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

lahermano- I agree with the other poster- it would be EXTREMELY unusual for all 3 of those to go bad at once- they're expensive and not like engine oil- I wouldn't change them unless they are actually BAD. How many miles on the vehicle?

How does it run? Unless it is running really bad, I would do a little more research , you might find out you spent all that money and effort for nothing. The 1st. codes that come up don't necessarily tell the story, sometimes not at all. Hate to see your pockets turned inside out by the parts fairy and still not solve the problem. Good Luck!

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Well, The car has 114000 miles on it and the symptoms that i see are

1. Very low gas mileage, it dropped ever since i started getting the CEL for couple of weeks, but the mileage dropped suddenly last week. I cleaned MAF meter

2, while driving like 40 mph is all fine, and if i start accelerating then i see some jerks, possibly a misfire or something. I am still driving that, and will check more.

all the driving is local driving about 30 miles a day.

3. some kind of burn smell coming inside the car and also at the exhaust

At this mileage, are these sensors to be replaced as a wear and tear parts ? or can they last more than that ? what is the usual scenario here.

Will investigate more.

Thanks

Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

1. Very low gas mileage, it dropped ever since i started getting the CEL for couple of weeks, but the mileage dropped suddenly last week. I cleaned MAF meter

2, while driving like 40 mph is all fine, and if i start accelerating then i see some jerks, possibly a misfire or something. I am still driving that, and will check more.

At this mileage, are these sensors to be replaced as a wear and tear parts ? or can they last more than that ? what is the usual scenario here.

Will investigate more.

Thanks

I wouldn't consider them wear and tear. There are ways to test the sensors individually. I feel there is still more research that needs to be done. I would clear the codes and see what comes back up. (TC's) If the same codes come back up it still doesn't mean that it needs the 3 sensors- That would be extremely unusual. If you throw enough parts at it you may fix the problem but need a loan just to buy lunch by then. LOL

Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Will investigate more.

Thanks

I wouldn't consider them wear and tear. There are ways to test the sensors individually. I feel there is still more research that needs to be done. I would clear the codes and see what comes back up. (TC's) If the same codes come back up it still doesn't mean that it needs the 3 sensors- That would be extremely unusual. If you throw enough parts at it you may fix the problem but need a loan just to buy lunch by then. LOL

Well,

I cleared the codes 2 times and i still get the same codes.

Lexus dealer told that oxygen sensor and the airfuel ratio sensors to be replaced.

I think they just want to rip me off and may not have done proper diagnosis. They wanted $1200 to replace these.

If i change these 3 parts it would cost only parts ($450) + labor. What a morons....

BTW, Airfuel sensors (what lexus refers to) and the upstream oxygen sensors (front cylinder head and rear cylinder as Hynes manual refers to) are the same ?

Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Will investigate more.

Thanks

Well,

Lexus dealer told that oxygen sensor and the airfuel ratio sensors to be replaced.

I think they just want to rip me off and may not have done proper diagnosis. They wanted $1200 to replace these.

If i change these 3 parts it would cost only parts ($450) + labor. What a morons....

BTW, Airfuel sensors (what lexus refers to) and the upstream oxygen sensors (front cylinder head and rear cylinder as Hynes manual refers to) are the same ?

That is affirmative. A lot of people still refer to them as oxygen sensors and even parts books do quite a bit so it gets very confusing. The 2 on bank 1 and bank 2 (just downstream of the exhaust manifolds) are in fact AIR/FUEL RATIO SENSORS. Very much different than an oxygen sensor. The 1 that is downstream (I believe just after the cat. convertor) is in fact an OXYGEN sensor. The rear A/F ratio sensor (B1 S1) is a little tougher to get to and the oxygen sensor MAY require removing the front seat (don't remember whether dr. or pass.), or maybe not- do a search, but is not worth that kind of labor. I have changed both A/F sensors and did not feel that was bad at all. It is a little hard to release the barb that holds the rear A/F sensor plug together. Be sure and soak the threads for a couple days before you try and take them out (with a good penetrant). A lot of people don't realize you can wipe the sensors out by using a silicone gasket sealer that is not "sensor safe". Good Luck!

Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Will investigate more.

Thanks

Well,

That is affirmative. A lot of people still refer to them as oxygen sensors and even parts books do quite a bit so it gets very confusing. The 2 on bank 1 and bank 2 (just downstream of the exhaust manifolds) are in fact AIR/FUEL RATIO SENSORS. Very much different than an oxygen sensor. The 1 that is downstream (I believe just after the cat. convertor) is in fact an OXYGEN sensor. The rear A/F ratio sensor (B1 S1) is a little tougher to get to and the oxygen sensor MAY require removing the front seat (don't remember whether dr. or pass.), or maybe not- do a search, but is not worth that kind of labor. I have changed both A/F sensors and did not feel that was bad at all. It is a little hard to release the barb that holds the rear A/F sensor plug together. Be sure and soak the threads for a couple days before you try and take them out (with a good penetrant). A lot of people don't realize you can wipe the sensors out by using a silicone gasket sealer that is not "sensor safe". Good Luck!

thanks very much for the reply. I will check it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guys,

1. Oxygen sensor

Here are my questions:

Appreciate all your help

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Will investigate more.

Thanks

Well,

thanks very much for the reply. I will check it out.

Thanks all for the HELP!

I finally got the problem resolved

I just replaced the Oxygen Sensor. (downstream after the cat. convertor)

Part purchased at sewell parts for $139 + taxes and shipping.

I had to remove the DRIVER seat (4 bolts) to have access to the OxygenSensor connector.

The total process took me about an hour.

Now no CEL and car runs good.

Thanks again