Has Electrical But Then No Click, No Start, Then Needs Reset.

holden

Hello.

Curious problem: Our 1990 Lexus LS400 has functional electrics (e.g. power windows) but when you turn key further to engage, nothing happens; no clicking plus the dash lights disappear and won't display when you turn key off then back on.

If I then disconnect the battery, the electrics work again as mentioned above. BTW We just had a new battery and alternator installed.

Any thoughts? TIA.

Congrats holden, and thanks very much for the update. It's interesting, yet extremely hard to diagnose correctly over the net, so when folks post back the solution (which rarely happens) it helps everyone out.

Thanks!

Right on Aok. It's a common courtesy and shows an appreciation for everyone's input and time in trying to help resolve a problem. We all benefit in the end.

:cheers:

Another follow-up ... I had bought a cheap battery terminal replacement which wasn't tight enough and failed to recharge my new battery. The lead terminal ended up shearing due to overtightening, so, a tip: buy the correct Toyota/Lexus terminal, $20 or so.

Since I had a discharged battery, I tried recharging it and though it read as FULL, installing it and turning the car on resulted in all dashboard lights displaying but just one click and no turnover. Again, I had to disconnect the negative terminal to reset everything.

I had considered the issue being a starter solenoid problem but I wanted to confirm it wasn't the battery so the battery shop gave me a new one ... I installed it, tried it and the car started perfectly. I think the key lesson for me is when tightening the battery terminals, double-check for shearing.

(An issue that emerged is the airbag warning light came on but I found the "dancing wire "fix.)