A/c Conversion

My son just bought a 93 es300 for his first car. the air starts out slightly coldbut tapers off soon. Does this year have to be converted and can I vacuum the system and refill? What is the cheapest way to do this? Vacuum

My son just bought a 93 es300 for his first car. the air starts out slightly coldbut tapers off soon. Does this year have to be converted and can I vacuum the system and refill? What is the cheapest way to do this?

If it starts out cold, but then tapers off, it could be the expansion valve. You would need a ac gauge set to check pressures and tell you what is going on. Since it is starting out cold, there is freon in the system, so there is no point in pulling a vacuum, if it has a low charge, just add some more freon.

You do not have to convert, R12 is still available and can be purchased if you are certified to handle freon, (or just search your local classified, you can probably find a can of r12). I would only recomend converting if you have to discharge the system for major repairs.

If you have not worked on ac before, I would recomend purchasing a good manual, and reading up before starting, and remember to wear safety glasses while working on the ac. I would not recomend a person without experience to start on this type of repair.