Engine Part Question

Hey guys,

I'm trying to change the spark plugs in my car. I got the front ones done and thought the back ones were right behind them. I undid all of the tubing and unscrewed this long silver piece that has the characters "2C" and "L" on it. Can anyone tell me what that is? When I unplugged it it hissed and spit out some gas. Now I've tried to put it back on and it is leaking gas horribly when I start the car. I think all I need are three new gaskets for the piece, but I'm not 100% sure. Can anyone help me?

Oh man, that long silver tube that you pulled off is the fuel rail! It sounds like you took out the front three injectors. Is it the tube in the attached picture? When looking at the picture, the front three coil-pack/spark-plug locations are across the bottom of the picture. The front bank fuel rail is circled in blue. You should be able to just reseat each of the three injectors by pushing them all back down into their holes (both in the fuel rail and intake manifold) and retightening the retaining bolts... just make sure you didn't slice any of the o-rings in the process, for they are sensitive. Then make sure the banjo bolt is nicely aligned and tight at the end of the fuel rail.

The spark plugs are further back in the engine (closer to the firewall) behind that aluminum intake plenum. A few inches back you should find the coil packs or the wires leading down the spark plug cavity (depending on what model of ES300 you have; some have individual coil packs all around, others share the front coil packs with wire take-offs to the rear bank of cylinders). The way these transverse mounted 1MZ-FE engines are designed, the front three plugs are cake to access and replace, but the rears are a buggar. It just takes time and patience and they can be replaced without issue.

post-34901-1216933812_thumb.jpg

Oh man, that long silver tube that you pulled off is the fuel rail! It sounds like you took out the front three injectors. Is it the tube in the attached picture? When looking at the picture, the front three coil-pack/spark-plug locations are across the bottom of the picture. The front bank fuel rail is circled in blue. You should be able to just reseat each of the three injectors by pushing them all back down into their holes (both in the fuel rail and intake manifold) and retightening the retaining bolts... just make sure you didn't slice any of the o-rings in the process, for they are sensitive. Then make sure the banjo bolt is nicely aligned and tight at the end of the fuel rail.

The spark plugs are further back in the engine (closer to the firewall) behind that aluminum intake plenum. A few inches back you should find the coil packs or the wires leading down the spark plug cavity (depending on what model of ES300 you have; some have individual coil packs all around, others share the front coil packs with wire take-offs to the rear bank of cylinders). The way these transverse mounted 1MZ-FE engines are designed, the front three plugs are cake to access and replace, but the rears are a buggar. It just takes time and patience and they can be replaced without issue.

Hey man. You nailed it. That's exactly what I did. I went back to the auto parts store and picked up new o rings, but when I put everything back in place it is still leaking pretty bad out of the first and third injector. Is there something else that I need to do with the fuel rail alignment? Am I tightening it too much?I'm giving it everything I've got. I replaced the o rings inside the fuel rail then replaced the o rings on the tops of the first and third injectors. I also replaced the o rights that go right below the top one and then the large one at the bottom where it fits back into the engine. It is leaking really bad from the top (where they connect to the fuel rail). Am I going to need to get new injectors or am I just not lining it up the right way?

Thanks for the reply!

I GOT IT!!!!!

I was missing one gasket on each injector. Just got her purring like new. Now that I know where the back spark plugs actually are I think I'll wait a week or two before attempting. Anyone have recommended tools to get in that tight space? Geesh!