Crazy Sound Coming From Transmission

For the past 3 days my car has been making a weird scrapping sound only when I have the car in drive everytime push the gas, it makes that sound for about 2secs. it doesn't do this all the time it did it more today sounds like its coming from the Transmission. I have lost some power when getting up to 50mph. The check engine light came on today, does this sounds like my Transmission is dieing?

Well, it doesn't sound good. Did you pull the code from the CEL (check engine light)?

I went to autozone to have the code pulled but they didn't have a scanner for my car. I drove it today the CEL was still on I didn't hear that sound again, but when I push the gas to get up to 40mph the car will sputter sometime or acts like its gonna stall put it gets going . When got back home I check all the fuilds everything was fine then I turn on the AC the car starts skiping and sputter again I gave it some gas it stop for a few mins turn the AC off it would idle fine but would I could hear it skipping a few times. I put the car in the shop a few weeks back they scanned it for me for $50 they only code that came up from what they told me was the car needed a iginter. I had that replace. I'm thinking more than one code came up and they didn't tell me about.

Well, it doesn't sound good. Did you pull the code from the CEL (check engine light)?

I went to autozone to have the code pulled but they didn't have a scanner for my car. I drove it today the CEL was still on I didn't hear that sound again, but when I push the gas to get up to 40mph the car will sputter sometime or acts like its gonna stall put it gets going . When got back home I check all the fuilds everything was fine then I turn on the AC the car starts skiping and sputter again I gave it some gas it stop for a few mins turn the AC off it would idle fine but would I could hear it skipping a few times. I put the car in the shop a few weeks back they scanned it for me for $50 they only code that came up from what they told me was the car needed a iginter. I had that replace. I'm thinking more than one code came up and they didn't tell me about.

Do you know how to read the codes on an OBD-1 system? Check www.lexls.com. This website is geared towards the LS400, but the procedure for your ES should be the same.

Do you know how to read the codes on an OBD-1 system? Check www.lexls.com. This website is geared towards the LS400, but the procedure for your ES should be the same.

I don't know how to read codes on OBD-1 where can I find a scanner. I had a friend look at the car today he thinks its the TPS.

• 2 months later...
For the past 3 days my car has been making a weird scrapping sound only when I have the car in drive everytime push the gas, it makes that sound for about 2secs. it doesn't do this all the time it did it more today sounds like its coming from the Transmission. I have lost some power when getting up to 50mph. The check engine light came on today, does this sounds like my Transmission is dieing?

I got the same sound and the same symptoms and am going to pull the transmission and replace the solenoids and the clutch plates as I believe the plates are gone.

• 1 month later...

Rebuilt tranny and found the direct clutch plates gone. A plastic spacer was broke just before the first sprag as well. I believe the noise was the clutch plates spinning as they were complete bowed out to the point they were not pressing against the steel plates. I completed the work myself as a cost of $233.00 for the master rebuild kit from transmissionsusa. com Total cost of project to include tools and materials $475.00. Better than $1,700 quoted fix from local tranny shop.