2002 Es300 Check Engine After 400 Miles Today

07/04/08 Today I took a 400 mile trip to visit mom in No. California.

Filled up with Shell 87 Octane as usual and this time added 1 bottle of STP Fuel Injection Cleaner to the tank. Thought I'd clean out the injectors. Car ran fine almost all the way and the last 40 miles or so the check engine light comes on. Got about 25mpg most of the way. After I arrived, I ran a quick errand to the store. Car started fine, idled fine etc. CEL still on. When I got back, I disconnected battery and waited like 30 minutes. When I started it back up the light went off. Then the car died which NEVER Happens. I tried to start it and it tries to start, but will only stay on if I keep my foot on the gas. I drove it down the street a block and it died when I can to a stop sign. Will only remain on while my foot is on the gas. Dies at idle. So now the CEL is back on and if I start in park and keep my foot on gas, it seems to be fine, no cutting out, no loss of power when I accelerated down the block, but when parked, won't stay on. Oil level ok. All wires seem fine, A/C worked all day in 90 degree drive so I am now stuck. Hopefully I can get it to an Autozone tomorrow to see what the code is. Any ideas? And yes, the gas cap was on tight. I checked fuses for fuel injection they are fine.

Thanks in advance.

Ken.

07/05/08

Got up this morning and the car was still dying at idle while in park.

I can keep it running when I keep my foot on the gas at low rpm (1000).

I took it to nearest Shell and filled it up with premium. It died while pulling up to the pump.

After I drove off, I took it about 20 miles. No check engine light. Car was initially idling very low, about 200. Now it's back at about 500 RPM, running smooth, no check engine.

It's 59 degrees outiside so temp is cool, Yesterday after all the driving it was 90 degrees.

I will still take it to Autozone but I don't know if there will be a code in the computer without the check engine light on.

It sounds to me like the fuel injector cleaner was fauling up the detonation, now that you have a good, fresh tank in there it'll probably be fine.

Have you ever used injector cleaner before in the car? I wouldn't put any additives in the fuel of these cars...

It sounds to me like the fuel injector cleaner was fauling up the detonation, now that you have a good, fresh tank in there it'll probably be fine.

Have you ever used injector cleaner before in the car? I wouldn't put any additives in the fuel of these cars...

No I never used it before (This was STP fuel injector cleaner) and I'll never do it again. It was either the injector cleaner fouled things up or bad fuel as well or maybe both. I filled up the car with Premium Shell and slowly the car came back to life. The idle is now back to normal, the CEL light is off, and remained that way for the last 600 miles no more problems. I'm on 2nd tank of premium fuel now and so that must have been it. Scared me...

the whole story of the car dying is familiar. It will go away in about 24 hours as the ECU relearns all the MAF, O2, A/F ratios, etc. It happened to me everytime I disconnected the battery. Just drive the car, but be ready to keep you foot on the gas when you come to a stop. I would through it in N and keep the RPMs up a little to keep from dying. Because power was cut to the ECU the programming returns to factory default. However, in a 2002 ES the parts are not what they were from the factory. There is carbon build up on the idle air control body, throttle body, the A/F sensors are not brand new. The car is learning and it takes a little to come back.

as for the original problem. there are 100s of combination of trouble codes that could be the culprit. We can't help if you don't post the code(s). The codes stay in a memory and should still be there even though the power to the ECU was cut.

Autozone will read them for free. post them up when you get them.

most likely since the car ran fine, it will be an 02 sensor or A/F sensor that was sensitive. Did you use carberator cleaner/ fuel system cleaner or specifically "fuel injector cleaner"?

steviej

Your ES died every time you disconnected the battery?!? Mine doesn't do that...

it didn't die, it just recovered slow (hours). It only happened twice.........so I stopped disconnecting the battery.

steviej

• 1 month later...

Just got back to this forum, to see the posts.

It was either the fuel injector cleaner or bad fuel. I filled it up with premium fuel and it has been running perfect ever since. The warning light went off, back to 24.5mpg.

Ken.