Cam Seals Or Gaskets?

beachee27

Can someone please tell me if my engine might be in trouble? I brought it in for a 90,000 mile maintenance (rx 300 01') and they tell me I have a leak and need to replace the gasket. Any help will do. Thanks!

Can someone please tell me if my engine might be in trouble? I brought it in for a 90,000 mile maintenance (rx 300 01') and they tell me I have a leak and need to replace the gasket. Any help will do. Thanks!

Can you be more definitive?

I brought my 2001 rx 300 with 91,000 miles into the dealership (as I have always done from day 1) (ps my warranty just ran out) I have gone ahead and replaced the cam/crank seal gaskets) Now they tell me that on the next service I will need a trans. pan gasket because it is seeping (sp?) and probably need a power steering flush as well.Also will need valve cover gaskets.

My question is: What are your thoughts as far as my car NEVER having problems like this before and all of a sudden this needs to be done after they do this 90,000 service after the warranty expires. Are these repairs that are pretty much normal at this point and is it worth it to hold on to it and keep it ? Not sure if I need to do this next service or let the car go. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

I brought my 2001 rx 300 with 91,000 miles into the dealership (as I have always done from day 1) (ps my warranty just ran out) I have gone ahead and replaced the cam/crank seal gaskets) Now they tell me that on the next service I will need a trans. pan gasket because it is seeping (sp?) and probably need a power steering flush as well.Also will need valve cover gaskets.

My question is: What are your thoughts as far as my car NEVER having problems like this before and all of a sudden this needs to be done after they do this 90,000 service after the warranty expires. Are these repairs that are pretty much normal at this point and is it worth it to hold on to it and keep it ? Not sure if I need to do this next service or let the car go. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It is possible, I suppose, that all of the gaskets you mentioned are leaking. OTOH, my 99 RX with almost as many miles as yours has never leaked a drop from cam/crank shaft seals, valve cover or transmission pan gaskets. Also, I do not recall anyone on this forum running into the kind of gasket leaks you are talking about. Apparently the engine rear main seal is problematic and I wonder if yours is leaking and it is being misdiagnosed.

I assume the dealer was replacing your timing belt when he observed the leaking cam/crank shaft seals? I assume he also replaced your water pump? I absolutely would not pay the dealer to replace leaking gaskets. I would find a reputable auto shop who can clean your engine and, if necessary, add a dye to determine where or if you are leaking oil. I have had ample experience with two Lexus dealerships; both were outright incompetent and dishonest.

Any puddles on your garage floor? If so, what color is it? You can blot it onto a white paper towel and tell us if it is reddish or dark amber.

Regarding your PS, buy a turkey baster and a couple quarts of Dextron ATF. Remove as much PS fluid as you can with the baster and replace with fresh ATF. Do this every week for a month and you should be fine.