2001 Is300 A/c Noises

George D

Hi my IS has been making some strange popcorn/gurgling noises that originate from the glove box area of the car. I noticed that when I manually adjusted the temperature for the A/C that the noises occured. I generally have the A/C unit set to automatic. When I get close enough to the glove box to hear the noises it seems that it sounds like some kind of motor/baffle that is making the weird noises...if anyone knows what this is or has had a similar experience please help me out.

Hi my IS has been making some strange popcorn/gurgling noises that originate from the glove box area of the car. I noticed that when I manually adjusted the temperature for the A/C that the noises occured. I generally have the A/C unit set to automatic. When I get close enough to the glove box to hear the noises it seems that it sounds like some kind of motor/baffle that is making the weird noises...if anyone knows what this is or has had a similar experience please help me out.

Not sure if it's related but I had some leaves/tree debris get into my A/C intake once. It made some strange noises when I ran the vent air setting on the AC. If you park under a tree or have the risk of debris getting under the hood it could be the cause. I don't remember what I did, was a few years ago, but spraying out the engine compartment and under the windshield helped if I remember correctly.

Got any strange smells to go with it?

Good Luck.

It could 1 of 2 issues. The easiest one is if you have some air trapped in the cooling system. The best way to get it out is to take the radiator cap off and run the car with the heater on full blast. (That will open the heater core, and let the coolant flow thru the entire system.) Let the car run until it comes up to temp. and all the air pockets have been pushed out. Refill it with coolant and replace the cap. You should be good.

The other issue could be a noisy actuator valve for the a/c system. I've heard just doing a system evac. and replacing with new freon will solve that issue. I haven't had this problem, but I have read others who have and this is what they did to fix it.