Selling The Lexus Sc300

Afternoon!

I've been enjoying reading this site for well over a year now, and enjoying my Lexus for close to 15. Initially it was my father's, then when I got into college he let me take over. It is an amazing car, and I've enjoyed maintaining it, driving it and fixing it up. I recently was quoted well over 500$ to fix the falling trunk...and fixed it for 40$ thanks to this site. I tried the headlight cleaning techniques; oven, scraping, buffing and all. It did the trick for me.

I'm moving to a place that requires more of a 4 wheel drive type car, and am looking to sell it. Does anyone have any advice with regard to sites to use, or how to best prepare it? Additionally, would it be worthwhile to have it repainted and fixed the sporadic bruises and bumps to up the resale, or just go with it as is?

Aside from aescetics, it's a great car. Everything just worked. Thanks for any advice.

Also, for information, its a 92 SC300, about 155,000 miles on her.

Traction control, 4 drive auto + overdrive, leather seats, telescoping wheel, auto seats, premium sound, etc.

Afternoon!

I've been enjoying reading this site for well over a year now, and enjoying my Lexus for close to 15. Initially it was my father's, then when I got into college he let me take over. It is an amazing car, and I've enjoyed maintaining it, driving it and fixing it up. I recently was quoted well over 500$ to fix the falling trunk...and fixed it for 40$ thanks to this site. I tried the headlight cleaning techniques; oven, scraping, buffing and all. It did the trick for me.

I'm moving to a place that requires more of a 4 wheel drive type car, and am looking to sell it. Does anyone have any advice with regard to sites to use, or how to best prepare it? Additionally, would it be worthwhile to have it repainted and fixed the sporadic bruises and bumps to up the resale, or just go with it as is?

Aside from aescetics, it's a great car. Everything just worked. Thanks for any advice.

Also, for information, its a 92 SC300, about 155,000 miles on her.

Traction control, 4 drive auto + overdrive, leather seats, telescoping wheel, auto seats, premium sound, etc.

You're moving to Alaska? :) I wouldn't sell mine.

We may have a post on the Buy and Sell forum on what to do.

I'd start by replacing your engine oil, service your battery(Walmart/AutoZone) and rotate your tires/inflate to the proper amount.

I don't believe it's wise to re-paint your car because most people want to look at the true look of your car, and you'll be paying close to $2k for a decent paint job. Not worth it to me. You could pay for a paintless dent removal, but be selective to which one you want to remove. depending on the size of the ding/dent you should pay below $2-300 with the average ones being around $49.

taking a bunch of pictures of a thoroughly detailed car(visit the Detail Forum), inside, seats, mileage, exterior from different angles, Engine bay, shot of how much tire tread is left and post it on our Buy and Sell Forum.

Then you may want to take up an ad on Cars.com or Autotrader(optional). Cars.com offers a free renewable service where you can keep your ad displayed for months @ a time. Autotrader doesn't but their ads usually show up on Ebay(more exposure). You could also take up an ad on CraigsList.org, but be very careful and thoroughly read the Disclosure Notice. Don't be a victim of Fraud.

Finally, think of a realistic price you want to sell it at. Visit Kbb.com, NADA.com, and Blackbook.com. Come up with an average price for a good condition vehicle. I took my LS to Carmax and got an estimate. It was extremely low, and I felt like kicking him to the curb for quoting me that, but you should expect to pay $1000-1500 over what they quote you.

Good luck, you've got a little work/$$ to prep your car.