Coolant Leak - No Hot Air

rtd111

I had better luck searching the LS400 forum on coolant leaks. I have an SC400. My issue is posted here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=48224

I also own a 91 LS400 and these two cars have a lot in common -- the heating / cooling system is largely the same.

In some of the articles I found here, there's suggestions this problem may be due to water pump failing. The WP was replaced with the timing belt at 75K miles. Car currently has 124K. Could that go out this fast?

Any help appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

these cars seem to have alot of problems with coolant leaks...for being one of the best built cars in the world..i own a 400 ls and have had nothing but problems with water pumps and coolant leaks.

i have done some research and if the water in the reservior tank is bubbling and dissappearing, it could possibly be a head gasket going out...but head gaskets can last a while before they blow completely....and the main reason they blow is due to engine overheating.

mine was on it's way out, and just blew completely last week...symptoms- no compression, water in cylinders.

according to many LS owners it is very unusual for these cars to have head gasket problems, but from what i have found, it isn't unusual at all.

because i am not going to spend $2500 on a repair, i am going to use a product called thermagasket on it...all of my advise by mechanics has been not to do this, but i have spoken to 2 other people who have used this product, and one has gone another 46K, and another 30K with no other problems.

i'll let everyone know what happens... :whistles: