Dashboard Crack - Not From Sun - 2004 Rx330

cheesepaco

Hello,

I just noticed an 6-inch hairline crack that starts on the dash at the top of the glove box door and peels upward. It stops before the bend toward the windshield.

This area of the dashboard is out of direct sunlight, and I always use a sunshade when parking outside during the day.

I bought the car last year from a dealer, certifed pre-owned, and I took the 3 year, 100K warranty.

I can't stand looking at it, it makes me so mad.

Is this covered by warranty?

Rick

2004 RX330, 57K miles

Hello,

I just noticed an 6-inch hairline crack that starts on the dash at the top of the glove box door and peels upward. It stops before the bend toward the windshield.

This area of the dashboard is out of direct sunlight, and I always use a sunshade when parking outside during the day.

I bought the car last year from a dealer, certifed pre-owned, and I took the 3 year, 100K warranty.

I can't stand looking at it, it makes me so mad.

Is this covered by warranty?

Rick

2004 RX330, 57K miles

The right people to ask are the ones at the dealership that sold you the car. Much depends on who issued the warranty and the limitations stated in the terms. It could have been a powertrain only warranty or a bumper-to-bumper or anything in between. Without more information it is difficult to assess the coverage. If the seller was a Lexus dealer you probably will have more of a chance of satisfaction.

At any rate, call them and ask.

There doesn't seem to be much discussion on this site about dash cracks so it may be a unique problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I just got back from the dealership. They had no answers as to why the crack appeared. And it turns out the factory warranty on trim expires after 50K miles. But catch this - the Service Manager decided to go ahead and replace the entire dashboard... at no cost to me. He said it is a $1400 part. But they will replace it free because "they are in the business of keeping customers for life." I was so happy.

I just got back from the dealership. They had no answers as to why the crack appeared. And it turns out the factory warranty on trim expires after 50K miles. But catch this - the Service Manager decided to go ahead and replace the entire dashboard... at no cost to me. He said it is a $1400 part. But they will replace it free because "they are in the business of keeping customers for life." I was so happy.

Score another one for Lexus service. By posting the positive results you are helping the Lexus marque. Stories like yours make people glad to be Lexus owners.