Looking To Buy An Is300, Need Info Please

Sweet93

First of all, I'm a newbie to the forum and Lexus. I've been looking at the '02-'03 IS300 5-speed to replace my '93 Mazda RX-7. Yeah, there isn't much comparison but I need something with a backseat, trunk, and a little better gas mileage.

I've been hearing bad things about the 5-speed. Are the as bad shifting as everybody is posting?

What kind of feedback can somebody give me as far as reliability? The first thing I plan to do is a full turbo upgrade. Has anybody did a turbo with an automatic if I decide to go that route? Does the transmission shift smoothly with the extra boost?

Any info I can get would be great.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the LOC!

Hmm, I haven't heard of the bad shifting issue? What are you referring to specifically?

As far as the car itself goes, it's a great car. I had an RX-7 also. Yeah, your gonna be very happy with the IS 300!

I have a thread here that logs from new purchase to full turbo as a sticky at the top of this forum. It should answer any questions you might have. And feel free to ask if it doesn't. It's the Modifying an IS 300 Chronicles of a dream ride.

Also, the 2000-2002 is slightly different than the 2003-2005 models. Most notably the materials they used for the dash. In 2003, they added the center arm rest to the console, and in 2004 they added memory seats, flip up compartment on the dash instead of the dash tray, and a few other minor changes. So, if you can, get the 2003. But if it's price, then the 2000-2002 models are still great mechanically, and functionally.

Welcome to the LOC!

Hmm, I haven't heard of the bad shifting issue? What are you referring to specifically?

As far as the car itself goes, it's a great car. I had an RX-7 also. Yeah, your gonna be very happy with the IS 300!

I have a thread here that logs from new purchase to full turbo as a sticky at the top of this forum. It should answer any questions you might have. And feel free to ask if it doesn't. It's the Modifying an IS 300 Chronicles of a dream ride.

Also, the 2000-2002 is slightly different than the 2003-2005 models. Most notably the materials they used for the dash. In 2003, they added the center arm rest to the console, and in 2004 they added memory seats, flip up compartment on the dash instead of the dash tray, and a few other minor changes. So, if you can, get the 2003. But if it's price, then the 2000-2002 models are still great mechanically, and functionally.

Thanks for all the info. I've been trying to find out what changes were made from year to year and haven't had much luck.

As far as the shifting issues, I've heard they were notchy shifting and would make a clanking noise through all the gear. They were not supposed to be a smooth shift like most 5-speeds are. I would really like to find a 5-speed to see if it's something minor that could be looked over or maybe change to a synthetic fluid to smooth the issue. The closes manual I can find to this area is over 100+ miles away. That's not worth driving just for a quick look.

Hmm, I'll have to get Flop 170 here, he has the manual. I would just ask him. But I have never heard someone come out and complain about the manual transmission being noisy or notchy.

I just got a post from another forum where I posted this same topic and somebody there mentioned removing the clutch dampening device. Maybe that's causing some of the issues people are/maybe having.