I've Got Another Questons For Mechanics.......

Ok well the Transco shop is charging me $350 if I go to get my CV's done. The part from Advance Discount Auto Parts is charging about $100 for the CV Axle Shaft and the other part that comes with it (I forgot what it's called) so I was wondering if I wanted to do it myself how long would it take, would it be better for me to do it myself price wise, what type of tools would I need, and I would need instructions on what to do STEP BY STEP because I'm kinda new with this thing. I have a 93 ES300 that I want to do it for. Please Help. Will greatly appreaciate it

Anybody else with advice.....

only advice is......check the web for lower price on parts the advance auto store will price match identical parts, I just saved 200 bucks on struts for my 98 es300..went in with print out and part #

the CV drive half-shaft comes as a whole, assembled part (you need two, one for each side). Removing and installing isn't that big of a job, but that's only if you have the right tools. If you only have simple hand tools in your garage, I would take it to a shop to have it done, especially when Camlex was only charged $40 in labor!!

I would also suggest looking around at part prices. I like Rockauto.com and Autopartswarehouse.com (looks like Rockauto.com has your half-shafts for $52/each with no core charge) ...if it were me, I would go and get the parts, show up to a good shop with reasonable prices, and say, "I need my drive axles replaced... the new ones are in the trunk." Any good shop will do the work with new parts supplied by the customer, but they also won't guarantee the part if you bring it in. I wouldn't be concerned with that on something like a CV shaft, since it's pre-assembled from the remanufacturer.

• 2 weeks later...

i did my wifes cv drive axles on her 96 es300, got the axels for autozone, guess the only reason is because its lifetime guarantee, an impact wrench will cut down alot of time on taking off bolts, you need a 11mm hex sockets(i might be off on the number) it wasn't that bad of a job, i did have a snag, guess the lexus mechanics must thought it was joke or something, one hex bolt was torque down so bad even the impact didn't work, had to be creactive but got it off. but all done guess i would rate the job on a scale from 1 to 5 a 3 for the experience person..