Starting Issues

rpboy06

Hello,

I have a severe problem in which my 92 LS400 will not start after a couple days of idling in the garage. I need a jump start or else it wont start. I have recently changed the spark plugs and wires, my alternator checks fine, the battery is fine, and I also my starter checks fine as well. Any idea what could be causing this ?

Obviously thing is the battery or the alternator is starting to go. First it's best to take it to a battery place that will do an instant check for free. You should see if the alternator is wet. If it is then suspect a leak on the power steering. That is a well known fault and well documented on all LS400 sites.

Err... the battery is fine. That was the first thing I checked. I had my alternator and starter checked at autozone, and everything looked fine. What exactly do you mean by "wet". Is that something that can't be checked by a machine at autozone? Also, my power steering fluid isnt leaking anywhere.... the fluid remains constant

I have the same problem with my ls400 if it sits for more than a day the battery is dead. I have had the whole charging system looked at and it always checks out even lexus said it was fine. I did some checking on my own from there I found that at an idle when warm and in gear the brand new tested good alternator is not charging over 12volts. but at 100 rpm or more it is fine i am still trying to find a solution to this. if anyone has an idea please et me know. I hope this helps you figure out your problem if you do please let me know.