Needle Lights - What's Soldering? Ha.

Hello friends,

Been gone for awhile as my Lexi has been running so smooth. Unfortunately at 14 years old and 140K on the odometer my gauge needle lights are all but gone on the tach and speedo.

I have indeed spent the last 45 minutes reading through the search results. I am great at my job as a hospital administrator, but don't know a dang thing about repairs, soldering, LEDs, waterfalls, OHMs, weights, etc...

Also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars but damnandblastit I can't see the needles anymore!!

What's the easiest fix for this...OR...if I can locate another 94 ES cluster on eBay or whatever can it just be swapped out just like that and all the gauges will read correctly? I've read quite a bit about them being inaccurate after messing around in there. If that happens I'm screwed...I'm worthless with this stuff!

I know this topic has been discussed ad infinitum, but...?

Thanks.

Try a local junk yard for the needles. I got a used cluster from Southwest Auto Parts in Lockport. Had to take it out myself. I think they charged me $70. If you can find a better price with needles guaranteed to work on Ebay buy it. To remove the needles you pull them straight up and off the cluster. I have removed three and they didn't come easy. I replaced the fuel needle and it works fine. There is also a place online that repairs the needles for $150. You send them the whole cluster. They take your old needles off and replace them with repaired needles.

Thanks to those that have responded.

Follow up question: if the needles are not yet fully burnt out (e.g. the tach needle will illuminate fully for about 30- seconds on start up then die completely) is there any emergency trauma surgery available to save them? Or is it once they start to go that's it...they'll come on maybe at start up but then will die?

Thanks again to all! :)

Turn the brightness down. Mine flicker if I have them at full brightness. I turn them down and the flicker goes away. Some guys drive with their lights on all of the time to compensate. I can see the needles just fine when they are turned down. However at night the radio and climate control are harder to see. The dial is on the cluster to the left of your steering wheel.