Coil Dilemma....

neoxxt

Hey guys!

Long time reader of the forum, first time starting my own topic.

I recently started throwing a CEL. Had the codes read at my local AutoZone and it ended up being random misfires on cylinders 1 and 3. I pulled the plugs and replaced them. It didn't fix my problem.

I decided to move on to the ignition coils after my initial failure. The coilpack on cylinder 3 smelled really funky when I took it out to replace the spark plug, so I assume that is the cause of my misfiring condition.

I am doing this work on a 1999 ES 300 with the VVTi motor.

I ordered a new coil from Autozone and Denso P/N#: 90080-19016 arrived.

I attempted to install the new coil and found that the original coil was a different part number. It is Denso P/N# 90919-02234. When trying to insert the new coil, I found the diameter of the plastic portion which extends from the coil down to the plug (boot?) is actually too large in diameter to fit down the hole in the head.

Initially I thought Autozone sent me the incorrect part, but after a bit of research on trademotion.com, it turns out my original coil is now supersceded by the part which I received.

I'm in a jam. Any help? Does the part I need actually exist?

Hey guys!

I recently started throwing a CEL. Had the codes read at my local AutoZone and it ended up being random misfires on cylinders 1 and 3. I pulled the plugs and replaced them. It didn't fix my problem.

I decided to move on to the ignition coils after my initial failure. The coilpack on cylinder 3 smelled really funky when I took it out to replace the spark plug, so I assume that is the cause of my misfiring condition.

I attempted to install the new coil and found that the original coil was a different part number. It is Denso P/N# 90919-02234. When trying to insert the new coil, I found the diameter of the plastic portion which extends from the coil down to the plug (boot?) is actually too large in diameter to fit down the hole in the head.

Initially I thought Autozone sent me the incorrect part, but after a bit of research on trademotion.com, it turns out my original coil is now supersceded by the part which I received.

I have the same vehicle as you. The 99 ES300 VVTi model came out around late 1998 and early 1999. Therefore, some part stores don't show the VVTi model in their system for a 1999 vehicle. On certain parts, I have to use a 2000 yr, like the Idle Air Control Valve gasket and throttle body gasket.

I am sure dealer has your part. However, here is what I do for these rarely ordered parts. I would check the part # between different store sites or call each different store near me. If they all agree, that should be the right one.

www.partsamerica.com

www.autozone.com

www.napaautoparts.com

You can also look at other online parts store, and they sell cheaper than some of these local places. Sewell Lexus (in Texas??) used to have a coupon code for online order.

Yes, the part is still manufactured for the '99ES, but you have to special order it directly from your Lexus parts dealer, unless per chance that they have it in stock.

that is the correct part# for 99 vvti engine you received. i bought it from the local toyota dealer for $70.

Hey guys!