2002-2003 Es300

D Nuts

ive been seriously shopping for a 2002-2003 ES300 as theyre in my price range with low mileage.

i've read a lot of bad stuff bout the shifting / surging...

#1 are there many owners out there that have trouble free performance?

#2 if i test drive one that has say 70kms on it and it doesnt have the shifting problem, is it still likely to develop or would it likely have been existent already given the mileage and therefore less likely to occur in the future?

Thanks much for your feedback

I have a 2002 ES300 and I LOVE IT. It is the nicest car I have owned. I can make my car do the hesitation thing, but honestly, it isn't an issue to me. If you know that while slowing (almost to a stop) and then speeding up very quickly that there will be a slight lag then it isn't an issue, rather a quirk of this vehicle. Regardless, it would be silly for someone to NOT buy this car simply because of this design. Again, it is not a "problem" with this car, it is simply the way it was designed. My advice, drive them, take them out, try to get the car to duplicate this delay, you will see it really isn't much of an issue at all. Thats my .02.

Happy driving.

ps- I have 83,000 trouble free miles on my car.

after reading the lemon guide and the numerous pages of complaints it is kinda scary, but its so hard to find any good car nowadays from a reliability standpoint. i really like the looks of the design and lexus is one of the only brands i havent bought yet. i'm gonna continue to shop for one and try to duplicate the problem when i test drive. really appreciate any positive feedback because it doesnt appear that on the site there is anywhere near positive about this car then negative. just be nice to know about the upside to this car. thanks much

ive been seriously shopping for a 2002-2003 ES300 as theyre in my price range with low mileage.

i've read a lot of bad stuff bout the shifting / surging...

#1 are there many owners out there that have trouble free performance?

#2 if i test drive one that has say 70kms on it and it doesnt have the shifting problem, is it still likely to develop or would it likely have been existent already given the mileage and therefore less likely to occur in the future?

Thanks much for your feedback

Welcome D Nuts :) Where abouts in Canada are you located? I ask because I can help you find what your looking for (if your interested, send me a PM.....I will explain in more detail).

The shifting issues are prone to the U.S. spec ES's not Canadian models so much (due to emission issues).

My best advice to you is make sure you find one that has all service history. If you get a 2003 for example under 110 k, you should have the remaining factory powertrain warranty left (6 year/110k). B)

:cheers: