Pcv Valve Made A Big Difference.

chilkoot

it didn't fix my 400RPM idle, but replacing my PCV valve and grommet got rid of a few phantom noises that had me concerned about the condition of my engine. The grommet was rock hard and snapped in half when I removed it, there's absolutely no way it was still sealing correctly. The PCV itself seemed unusually heavy for its size, especially compared to the replacement, 130k worth of gunk perhaps?

The old one still rattled, I really think it was the grommet that made the difference sealing up the whole assembly. Either way if you haven't replaced yours for a couple of years I'd recommend it, my engine doesn't seem to run any smoother or have more power, but those idle noises were driving me nuts. The most noticeable was a high pitched "puff" of what sounded like a compressed gas escaping every 1/2 - 1/3 second, changing with RPMs, that could be heard through the front driver wheel well.

If you get a "purolator" replacement from Advance Auto have a 3/8"-7/8" hose clamp on hand, as the barb is one size smaller than it should be, and the hose will not seal correctly with the standard wire clamp.

it didn't fix my 400RPM idle, but replacing my PCV valve and grommet got rid of a few phantom noises that had me concerned about the condition of my engine. The grommet was rock hard and snapped in half when I removed it, there's absolutely no way it was still sealing correctly. The PCV itself seemed unusually heavy for its size, especially compared to the replacement, 130k worth of gunk perhaps?

. . . sip

Gunk at 130K miles? You think? :P

I think the max mileage recomended to run on a PCV is 60K. Oh well, better late than never!

. . . sip

Gunk at 130K miles? You think? :P

I think the max mileage recomended to run on a PCV is 60K. Oh well, better late than never!

i've driven the car less than 2k since I've gotten it, this car was a lot more neglected than a worn PCV valve.

• 4 weeks later...

If the valve pass the checks you can drive it for ever, provided you clean the valve and the grommet every year at least. Your car is a good candidate for Seafoam treatment of oil, gas and engine air systems. Look in the forums and you will see the producedures specially in the ES 300 or in the Lexls.com website. While you are at it check all your hoses for signs of cracking specially the ones that sit on top of the engine under the Lexus Logo etc. You will probably find some of the carcked too. You should also look in to cleaning your mass airflow sensor, but be very careful doing so, look in the UK forums for that info.

C. Cardona