So With The Rx Known As A Women's Car.....

.... what would be a few examples of similar vehicles with similar luxury and size that would NOT necessarily be considered such a lady's vehicle?

Bud H

Bud, personally I've never heard of it as a "ladies vehicle". I use it as my winter/bad weather vehicle and being the incredibly manly-man stud that I am I dont feel this SUV is appealing to my feminine side. ;)

Sure, a lot of ladies drive them, but they're not like the "New" Beetle or the Solara for being decidedly "girlmobiles". My wife decided that ours needed to be black, not some wimpy gold or silver-gold color, just in case there were any potential "issues". She was right. (She was supposed it use it as her daily driver but much prefers my '01 Acura TL so I get to enjoy the Lexus.) And since our dealer offers unlimited car washes, the RX is shiny black almost all the time.

Just enjoy it and drive it. Aside from the wishy-washy handling it'll weave through traffic with the best of them and goes when you need it to. And Consumer Reports has the RX as Recommended.

If you wanted something more masculine, try the Acura MDX. I had one for a service car one day and was impressed by the handling but it's too big for us and didn't feel as comfortable (ride and controls) as the RX, plus it took up a lot more space in my garage. Oh, and the NAV system got mad at me when I strayed off course.

BMW and Mercedes? Sure. Just bring more $$$ to the sales table, as well as expect more service problems. Buy the April Consumer Reports Annual Auto Issue on the newsstands now for good side-by-side comparisons.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I'm the primary driver of our RX (just traded my '04 330 for an '09 350), but my DH chose the Bamboo over the Brandywine, and believe me he LOVES to drive it. Granted, he should considering his commuter car is an '02 Saturn SL2. He says THAT is more emasculating than the RX - I would agree.