Fan Blows Cold Air Instead Of Heat

A few months ago my 98 ES300 started blow cold air instead of heat. The problem occurs when the heating is on (set to 22C). It works fine when I drive below 90km per hour, anything above 100km/hr and cold air gets mixed with the hot air. I then have to turn up the thermosat to 25C-27C to heat the car.

Any help on this issue would be appreciated.

A few months ago my 98 ES300 started blow cold air instead of heat. The problem occurs when the heating is on (set to 22C). It works fine when I drive below 90km per hour, anything above 100km/hr and cold air gets mixed with the hot air. I then have to turn up the thermosat to 25C-27C to heat the car.

Hey buddy it sounds like your thermostat is stuck, and isnt functioning properly. Have it replaced by yourself I f you know how, or have a mechanic do it, depending on your choice to pay 115 bucks for a lexus mechanic or 60 bucks for a local mechanic to fix it per hour. If this doesnt work, How many miles are on your car, do you live in a very cold area? Please if you can list the temp in Ferenheit.

Ben

Hey buddy it sounds like your thermostat is stuck, and isnt functioning properly. Have it replaced by yourself I f you know how, or have a mechanic do it, depending on your choice to pay 115 bucks for a lexus mechanic or 60 bucks for a local mechanic to fix it per hour. If this doesnt work, How many miles are on your car, do you live in a very cold area? Please if you can list the temp in Ferenheit.

Ben

Ben thanks for the response.

I live in Toronto Canada. 120,000 miles. when driving around 50miles/hr at the temp is set to 72F the car is warm and toasty. When driving above 60miles/hr I have to raise the temp to 78-80F to keep the car warm.

Just a thought. . . .

Change the air intake on the heating/cooling system to 'Recirculate' instead of 'Fresh Air'.

You could have a vent stuck, allowing more cold outside air to come in.

Also, if you have a blockage in the heater coils, this could cause the problem, or add to it.

However. . . my money is on the thermostat being stuck, too. If that's the case, at least it's stuck in the 'open' position.

IF it was stuck in the 'closed' position, your engine would overheat. . .in a very short time.

Also, if your cooling system is low on coolant/antifreeze, as the engine turns faster, it pumps the coolant faster, which may not be enough to going through the heater coil to transfer heat to the interior.

Just a thought. . . .

However. . . my money is on the thermostat being stuck, too. If that's the case, at least it's stuck in the 'open' position.

IF it was stuck in the 'closed' position, your engine would overheat. . .in a very short time.

Also, if your cooling system is low on coolant/antifreeze, as the engine turns faster, it pumps the coolant faster, which may not be enough to going through the heater coil to transfer heat to the interior.

Another vote for the thermostat here.....and check the coolant as byf43 suggests. When was the last time it was changed?

:cheers: