97 Ls400 Cruise Control

yortblem

I took our 97 ls400 into the shop the other day to have a couple things checked out on it. One of the things that I wanted fixed was the cruise control. The dealer did some tests and told me that the actuator switch on the steering column was bad and LEXUS wants 2000.00 dollars, Yes, that is correct, 2000.00 dollars for the switch assembly. Now I am talking about the little cruise lever on the side of the steering column. I couldn't believe it. 80.00 to put it in and 2000.00 dollars for the part. The Toyota part is 300.00 which I think is high but compared to 2000.00 for the Lexus part it is a bargain. Now, that just irritates the heck out of me. Now, I cannot be the only person that has had this problem with the cruise control switch and I cannot be the only one out here that is too smart not to pay 2000.00 for the part. Do I have any other options with this situation. I know that I can go to a wrecking yard, However, how long before that switch goes bad and have to deal with the same problem. Any suggestion or options would greatly be appreciated. I know that I could live without the cruise, and at 2000.00 I will have to live without cruise but what a shame!!! Shame on you LEXUS.

Yes, that is correct, 2000.00 dollars for the switch assembly. Now I am talking about the little cruise lever on the side of the steering column. I couldn't believe it. 80.00 to put it in and 2000.00 dollars for the part. The Toyota part is 300.00 which I think is high but compared to 2000.00 for the Lexus part it is a bargain.
I'd have no reservations about getting another steering wheel from a wreck because this is the first time I've ever heard of this part failing. Try car-part.com. I bought a wheel (for my '95) in pristine condition on that site for $100 (I swaped it out because of the leather. ;) ), and you can easily change it out in your driveway in about 20 minutes.

Yes, that is correct, 2000.00 dollars for the switch assembly. Now I am talking about the little cruise lever on the side of the steering column. I couldn't believe it. 80.00 to put it in and 2000.00 dollars for the part. The Toyota part is 300.00 which I think is high but compared to 2000.00 for the Lexus part it is a bargain.
I'd have no reservations about getting another steering wheel from a wreck because this is the first time I've ever heard of this part failing. Try car-part.com. I bought a wheel (for my '95) in pristine condition on that site for $100 (I swaped it out because of the leather. ;) ), and you can easily change it out in your driveway in about 20 minutes.

The switch works because it turns it on and the light comes on. The ACC works because it will increase speed. It will even engage at whichever speed that I set it at and then it will shut off and the CRUISE light will blink. Then it will not engage until I turn off the car only to have the same thing happen again. All brake lights are working correctly. It is a mystery. Now as far as the Cruise components there is of course the switch acctuator, brake switch, the computer under the dash and the device under the hood alone with the speed sensors, right? Any other ideas? Thanks

The switch works because it turns it on and the light comes on. The ACC works because it will increase speed. It will even engage at whichever speed that I set it at and then it will shut off and the CRUISE light will blink. Then it will not engage until I turn off the car only to have the same thing happen again. All brake lights are working correctly. It is a mystery. Now as far as the Cruise components there is of course the switch acctuator, brake switch, the computer under the dash and the device under the hood alone with the speed sensors, right? Any other ideas? Thanks

It doesn't sound like, to me, anything is wrong with the switch. Just guessing but from what you describe, normal operation until...."Cruise light blinks" is a very typical way of indicating that a fault has occurred in the system. I can't imagine taht any of the switch control contacts are closed at the time of the failure.

A non-rotating air conditioning compressor...= a blinking A/C icon

A 4WD system that is not in the commanded position.... = a blinking 4WD or 2WD icon.

Find out the fault code.

• 1 month later...

Just purchased my first Lexus a couple of weeks ago -- 1997 LS 400 (had a little over 81,000 miles on it). Purchased it on e-Bay and actually had never even driven a Lexus. Great car! And this is a great resource for a Lexus novice such as myself -- thanks!

Re. the flashing cruise light -- the dealer where I bought the vehicle advertised a full tank of fuel with the purchase. The tank was only a quarter full when I picked it up, so he gave me cash to fill it up before I headed home with the car. Filled up, got up to speed on I-10 heading east from El Paso where the speed limit is 80 mph. Pushed the cruise button, light comes on and it holds speed for about 4 or 5 seconds then drops control of speed and cruise light begins to flash on on and off. Tried stopping the car, turning it off, and then setting the cruise again when I was back on the road. Same things happens. I'm thinking -- bought it "as is" and "as is" means the cruise isn't working right. Drove home w/o cruise.

Told a friend who used to be the service manager for a local car dealership about the problem and he said that he had seen his pick-up's cruise do the same thing when he pulled his camper trailer into a stiff wind -- his truck didn't have enough power to keep the cruise going. I went back to the Lexus manual and noticed that the LS 400 requires premium fuel -- and realized that I had put regular fuel in when I filled up in El Paso (as I said earlier, I had never driven a Lexus before). This made me wonder if the car was doing something similar to my friend's truck when it was underpowered.

My tank was half full of regular fuel, so I filled up with premium. Took the Lexus out for a spin on the open highway and tried the cruise. It worked perfectly and has ever since (with me using premium fuel now). My conclusion in the case of my vehicle is that it was underpowered running on regular fuel and that is the reason for the cruise problem.