Shudder Under Braking

hancocks4

Hi all,

I have a LX470 with 102000 miles, bought it with 75000 nad had no problems - had the 90k major service by dealer at 98000.

I noticed a faint shudder - front passanger side under braking - 2000 miles ago whcih has been getting progressively worse - thought my wife may have hit a Chicago pothole and bent something out of shape.

The shudder is pretty bad now, mostly under braking although something feels a little loose in the front of the truck as you accelerate from standing start.

Went back to the dealer who tells me brakes and suspension are fine, and that I need a transfer case assembly for 2700 dollars plus $500 labour. What is the transfer case? I read in the forum that someone had a similar issue that was caused by the dealer putting the wrong fluid in at service.

Intereted in any advice on a cheaper fix or alternate diagnosis?

best

jh

Hi all,

I have a LX470 with 102000 miles, bought it with 75000 nad had no problems - had the 90k major service by dealer at 98000.

I noticed a faint shudder - front passanger side under braking - 2000 miles ago whcih has been getting progressively worse - thought my wife may have hit a Chicago pothole and bent something out of shape.

The shudder is pretty bad now, mostly under braking although something feels a little loose in the front of the truck as you accelerate from standing start.

Went back to the dealer who tells me brakes and suspension are fine, and that I need a transfer case assembly for 2700 dollars plus $500 labour. What is the transfer case? I read in the forum that someone had a similar issue that was caused by the dealer putting the wrong fluid in at service.

Intereted in any advice on a cheaper fix or alternate diagnosis?

best

jh

Are you sure it's not your wheel bearings? An easy way to find out is to jack up each wheel in front (or the front of the car) and grab each front tire at 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock and push-pull with opposing forces. You shouldn't feel any play. Another thing you could try is when it starts to shudder while braking, what happens if you put the transmission in N?

Transfer case is between the transmission and splits the power between the front and rear driveshafts. It has a 2-speed gearbox inside. Normally, you drive in 4wd "hi" mode, so the gear ratio is 1:1. If you are offroad on steep up/down terrain, you can put the t-case in "low" for a 1:2.48 gear ratio, meaning the transmission output shaft has to turn 2.48 times to make the driveshafts turn once. The t-case is what make the vehicle full-time 4wd. Different transfer cases do different things. The AWD vehicles like the RX have a t-case with 1:1 ratio only. Part-time 4wd vehicles like the 4runner V6 have a t-case that normally only turns the rear driveshaft (RWD), but when you hit the 4wd button, it also engages the front driveshaft to turn the front axle. In a dedicated 2wd vehicle, there is no transfer case. The engine output just goes to the transmission, then to the driveshaft.