Motor Engagment Clunk.

The noise and clunk I get during the transition from electric to gas seems to be getting worse. It's noticeable during both hard and light acceleration.

I drove a friend's 600h recently and there was zero noise. It was silky smooth and the transition was hardly noticeable. Now, I realize that it's double the price, however, isn't it essentially the same system? Shouldn't my vehicle be as smooth and as quiet?

I made an appointment with the dealer next week. My service advisor said that it seemed normal, but they would take a look at it, of course.

I'd like to hear from other 400h owners about this since I have no basis for comparison. Is it normal? Am I being paranoid?

I don't notice ICE transition at at when under speed -- if you can feel it then, I'd say something is amiss.

At a standstill when the ICE comes on to keep things warm, sometimes there is a small jolt, when can be disconcerting if my foot is only lightly on the brake (just enough to stop the car from rolling on a flat surface, but not fully depressed) as the car can jump. Although it's only a few mm, it's disconcerting nonetheless.

On a related note, I've noticed that unless I fully depress the break, the energy indicator shows the it's running the front elec motor from the batts, even though the car isn't moving - fully depressing the brake will stop this process.

mike

The noise and clunk I get during the transition from electric to gas seems to be getting worse. It's noticeable during both hard and light acceleration.

I drove a friend's 600h recently and there was zero noise. It was silky smooth and the transition was hardly noticeable. Now, I realize that it's double the price, however, isn't it essentially the same system? Shouldn't my vehicle be as smooth and as quiet?

I made an appointment with the dealer next week. My service advisor said that it seemed normal, but they would take a look at it, of course.

I'd like to hear from other 400h owners about this since I have no basis for comparison. Is it normal? Am I being paranoid?

Under speed, I don't notice it much at all. I feel it most when accelerating from a complete stop. What about yours? Do you experience a smooth transition when you take off from a light, or can you feel it kick in?

I don't notice ICE transition at at when under speed -- if you can feel it then, I'd say something is amiss.

At a standstill when the ICE comes on to keep things warm, sometimes there is a small jolt, when can be disconcerting if my foot is only lightly on the brake (just enough to stop the car from rolling on a flat surface, but not fully depressed) as the car can jump. Although it's only a few mm, it's disconcerting nonetheless.

On a related note, I've noticed that unless I fully depress the break, the energy indicator shows the it's running the front elec motor from the batts, even though the car isn't moving - fully depressing the brake will stop this process.

mike

i have a 2007 rx400h i rareley am aware of the ice going on or off if it is a cold start i sometimes feel a very slight clunk almost never aware of it when driving slow or fast i think the dealer should let you test drive another one same as yours must be something that can be fixed