Exterior 'b' Pillar Mouldings

The exterior 'B' pillar mouldings on my 2005 ES are slightly pitted & de-oxidized (quite common as this was also the case with my 2001 ES). I just got off the phone with the service manager at my local Lexus dealer......he says that the B pillar mouldings on this generation are actually part of the door frame itself & not seperate parts that can be removed & corrected. He wants to have another look at the problem and said that repainting them might be our only option.

Anyone else have this problem with the 2002 - 2006 ES? I have to take the car in for replacement of the passenger side mirror & steering knuckle issue anyway. Please advise.

:cheers:

I looked at my wife's 04 and it appears that he is correct. This is a common problem with many cars, and I even have a neighbour whose Windstar van has done the same thing. The oxidation you refer to is actually the clear coat peeling off of the base coat paint in my neighbour's case. Careful masking, since the window seals are so close and tight, a light sanding with 600 grit wet/dry paper, and they should be ready for another coat of clear if you don't sand through the base black coat into the primer coat. Interesting to note that you have a Subie as well. My wife gets spoiled in the ES and I make do with an 07 Outback Wagon LTD.

Nothing wrong with an 07 OB Ltd gbhrps. ;)

I appreciate the info. I'm going to wait until the weather gets better & in the spring I will have the dealer repaint both sides (under warranty). B)

:cheers: