Help! Radio Turns Itself On And Off While Stuck In Traffic

Markuses300

Hey Everyone new user and first post.

I know this topic may have already been posted, but I need some clarification. I bought a 1998 ES300 about six months ago and now things are starting to break :cries: Today my radio started turning off and on while I was driving. The display works fine and so the CD changer. Are there fuses I can check or is my head unit/amp about to give out. What are my options? Could I go to a radio tech or do I just need to replace the unit? Thanks

I know this topic may have already been posted, but I need some clarification. I bought a 1998 ES300 about six months ago and now things are starting to break :cries: Today my radio started turning off and on while I was driving. The display works fine and so the CD changer. Are there fuses I can check or is my head unit/amp about to give out. What are my options? Could I go to a radio tech or do I just need to replace the unit? Thanks

It sounds like you have a loose connection from the radio to the antenna. Mine ('98 ES 300) did that to when I first got it. Tracked it down to the connection behind the radio. Does it cut off while sitting still? or only when you are driving, like over rough or bumped roads?

The two most common connections are at the radio and the back window where the antenna is connected.

It sounds like you have a loose connection from the radio to the antenna. Mine ('98 ES 300) did that to when I first got it. Tracked it down to the connection behind the radio. Does it cut off while sitting still? or only when you are driving, like over rough or bumped roads?

The two most common connections are at the radio and the back window where the antenna is connected.

I think it cuts on and off when I come to a stop or accelerate and kicks on when I make a turn. I don't think I've had it cut off when when I have been sitting still. Where is the connection in the back window and what does the connection behind the radio look like? Thanks.

I think it cuts on and off when I come to a stop or accelerate and kicks on when I make a turn. I don't think I've had it cut off when when I have been sitting still. Where is the connection in the back window and what does the connection behind the radio look like? Thanks.

The antenna wire behind the radio is a single prong cable. When you remove the radio, just push all the cables in to make sure they are seated. You can't miss the antenna cable. The connection to the rear window is located behind the real seat. Look around the window to locate it. I would check the radio connection first. If you loose the connection at the rear window, you will still have the radio but with static and poor reception whereas at the radio, complete silence or very low audiable sound. Good luck and have a happy holiday!!!