Leaking Fluid Under Car, Need Help!

gthoman

Hello......

I have a 2003 Lexus GX470 and its leaking fluid....Seems to be the transfer case?? Not sure.......I uploaded a picture.....There is a red circle where it is leaking....Please take a look at this picture and let me know whats going on, and also if this is an easy fix.....or difficult.....Seems to be a gasket between the black case and transfer case?? Might need to zoom to see the red circle toi show where the leak is...............Maybe can update my picture with the actual part names. :) Thanks for any advice....

Gene

post-55086-1197859698_thumb.jpg

Hello......

I have a 2003 Lexus GX470 and its leaking fluid....Seems to be the transfer case?? Not sure.......I uploaded a picture.....There is a red circle where it is leaking....Please take a look at this picture and let me know whats going on, and also if this is an easy fix.....or difficult.....Seems to be a gasket between the black case and transfer case?? Might need to zoom to see the red circle toi show where the leak is...............Maybe can update my picture with the actual part names. :) Thanks for any advice....

Gene

I put this in the wrong forum....Sorry...Not sure how to change this, so hopefully the moderator will move it......

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I had this leak between the black box and the case. There is an o-ring that seals the shaft. I was going to replace it myself since the oring is only a couple of dollars, but everything I could find said the transfer case had to be opened up to get the black box off to change the o-ring. I didn't want to take the transfer case apart, so I took it to the stealership. I don't trust the stealership, so I took a bunch of pictures of the transfercase before I gave it to them. They charged me $1200 to change to oring. When I got home , I crawled under the car to take a look and it was obvious, from the old orange gasket sealant, that the transfer case was not taken apart. I questioned the stealership about it and they said they charge the book rate even if the mechanic knows a quicker way to repair it. I am fine with that as an incentive for the mechanic to make more money, but come on, don't charge me $1200 if you figured out how to do the job in an hour. They did fix it, but come on....