Poor Handling Caused By "18" Tires Per Dealer

grouch

After the wife and I went into town and the handling scared the ****** out or her I sent my 04 RX to the Lexus of Spokane, 200 miles away, concerning it's scary handling on rough or uneven pavement. After it was there for two days, I had to call them and found out the the service manger and a mechanic took it for a drive and said it drove and handled just like all the other RX's they have and said "it must be the 18" tires. I have driven everything from old Ford trucks to Vetts of the same stretch of highway and none of them handled this bad.

Am I the only one who had experienced this?

See post below re: 05 RX330 tracking/pulling. Is that what you're talking about?

After the wife and I went into town and the handling scared the ****** out or her I sent my 04 RX to the Lexus of Spokane, 200 miles away, concerning it's scary handling on rough or uneven pavement. After it was there for two days, I had to call them and found out the the service manger and a mechanic took it for a drive and said it drove and handled just like all the other RX's they have and said "it must be the 18" tires. I have driven everything from old Ford trucks to Vetts of the same stretch of highway and none of them handled this bad.

I can't say much about old Ford trucks since I don't remember as far back as the sixties when driving them in MT was commonplace for me. But I can tell you that the 'vette's suspension is probably "set-up" for low profile 18" tires. Personally I think modern SUVs come equipped with 18" tires strictly for looks and are a definite detriment to handling.

My '01 came with 16" and I upgraded to 17X8 and added 1.6" wheel spacers all around. Most of that was done so I could use tire chains on the rear FIRST and add them to the front when needed. Obviously an 8" wheel and wider tread along with overall wider stance will add a lot of stability so I have had no complaints along the line you state.

I run with nice quiet and comfortable summer tires all year around and quickly throw on the (rear) chains on the rare occassions of need here in the Seattle area. On our trips to Lewistown we have encountered snow and ice on the passes north and east of Helena a few times but not so bad that I needed the chains.

I have 18s on my '05 330 and it rides and tracks well. As suggested on the "other board" ask the dealer to borrow a new car with 18s and drive on similar roads. I know you said you have quite a drive to get to the dealer but it might be worth your piece of mind.

A couple of things to check:

1. are all your lug nuts tight?

2. if so, have you tried a four tire rotation to see if your tires are at fault?

3. tire pressure checked in the last couple of days?

I know that the PA turnpike has some ruts you can lose a small car in and there are spots that feel like you are in Army tank tracks through the dirt.

See post below re: 05 RX330 tracking/pulling. Is that what you're talking about?

Yes, very similar. it's fine on smooth roads, but on rough, rutted roads it wants to follow the ruts. It takes a firm grip on the wheel to prevent it from changing lanes or going into on coming traffic.

I have 18s on my '05 330 and it rides and tracks well. As suggested on the "other board" ask the dealer to borrow a new car with 18s and drive on similar roads. I know you said you have quite a drive to get to the dealer but it might be worth your piece of mind.

A couple of things to check:

1. are all your lug nuts tight?

2. if so, have you tried a four tire rotation to see if your tires are at fault?

3. tire pressure checked in the last couple of days?

I know that the PA turnpike has some ruts you can lose a small car in and there are spots that feel like you are in Army tank tracks through the dirt.

They all have been checked.

Keep in mind that the dealer's service manger said " they all handle this way with the 18" tires."

I can't say much about old Ford trucks since I don't remember as far back as the sixties when driving them in MT was commonplace for me. But I can tell you that the 'vette's suspension is probably "set-up" for low profile 18" tires. Personally I think modern SUVs come equipped with 18" tires strictly for looks and are a definite detriment to handling.

My '01 came with 16" and I upgraded to 17X8 and added 1.6" wheel spacers all around. Most of that was done so I could use tire chains on the rear FIRST and add them to the front when needed. Obviously an 8" wheel and wider tread along with overall wider stance will add a lot of stability so I have had no complaints along the line you state.

I run with nice quiet and comfortable summer tires all year around and quickly throw on the (rear) chains on the rare occassions of need here in the Seattle area. On our trips to Lewistown we have encountered snow and ice on the passes north and east of Helena a few times but not so bad that I needed the chains.

My old Ford truck is a 76 F150 4X4 with a built 360, oversize tires on 10" wide rims, with custom interior and body work that I built for my wife.

I have 3 sets of chains in the garage and never used one since I've lived in Montana. You said you put your chains on the rear, yet Lexus recommends the front?

My old Ford truck is a 76 F150 4X4 with a built 360, oversize tires on 10" wide rims, with custom interior and body work that I built for my wife.

I have 3 sets of chains in the garage and never used one since I've lived in Montana. You said you put your chains on the rear, yet Lexus recommends the front?

It takes an idiot or someone with a death wish to put tire chains only on the front of any vehicle. I can't think of an appropriate term for a manufacturer that builds a vehicle, an AWD SUV yet, wherein that is the only option while at the same time advising in the very same owners manual just how unsafe that configuration might be.

I think we already affirmed that you live in the banana belt of MT, the bitterroot valley south of Missoula.

My MT experience was back in the sixties around Great Falls and Lewistown where tire chains were often the rule of the day during winter.

Lexus (and Toyota) not only recommends tire chains only for the front they don't leave enough space in the rear to use even cable "chains".