96 Es300 - Clicking Noise From Behind The Instrument Cluster

ktak

I've found that on cold mornings, a strange clicking sound will come out of the instrument cluster. Almost like the clicking sound of the turn signal, but faster. It'll do that for a few seconds, then go away. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? It almost sounds like an electrical short, but there never seems to be any negative effects from the clicking sounds.

Any help will be appreciated.

This sounds like a speedometer cable that needs lubrication.

I'm not sure how to get to the cable, but, powdered graphite works great.

Remove the cable from the back of the speedometer and 'dust' the cable and sheath, then re-install.

I've found that on cold mornings, a strange clicking sound will come out of the instrument cluster. Almost like the clicking sound of the turn signal, but faster. It'll do that for a few seconds, then go away. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? It almost sounds like an electrical short, but there never seems to be any negative effects from the clicking sounds.

Any help will be appreciated.

Another thing that might make that sound is a servomotor's resistive positional feedback assembly, most likely a part of the HVAC, in the process of failing.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I can tell you its not the spedometer cable as the instrument cluster is electronic and there is no spedometer cable attached to the back of the cluster. I know first hand as I have taken my cluster out from my 94 es300 several times :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

So, I think I have this same problem. The noise is coming from just near the gas pedal up under the instrument cluster on my 95 ES300. So, I don't know what a servomotor resistive positional feedback is! :-l Can someone provide a bit more description so I can replace it?

Thanks....Bart.

I have the same problem on my '92. I noticed that it does it occasionally when the car is in drive but idle, like at a red light. I did notice though that while sitting in a drive-thru & I put the car in park it would stop but start again if I put it in drive and continue sitting still. The clicking also continued as I would push the gear knob in right before changing gears. Let me know if you find out anything. I just want to make sure it doesn't cause me to be stalled on the side of the road with both a 2 & 1 year old! :cries: