Antifreeze/coolant

Karl K

I don't know if this topic has been discussed in the past it does not come up in the search function.

What is the general consensus on the brand or type of antifreeze to use in the RX.

I have some Prestone from previuos cars sitting in the garage that says it is good for aluminum engines.

I would hate to waste it.

What is the general consensus on the brand or type of antifreeze to use in the RX.

I have some Prestone from previuos cars sitting in the garage that says it is good for aluminum engines.

I would hate to waste it.

I wouldn't just add the Prestone "green stuff" without confirming the type of antifreeze used in Lexus/Toyota. There are several different types of antifreeze available and not all of them are compatible with each other. For instance, there are HOAT, hybrid organic acid technology, and OAT, organic acid technology just for starters. From what I read on other boards, the manufacturers of antifreeze seem to differentiate their products with colors. I know that I have seen green, orange/pink, yellow and must be others.

I would ask the lexus service department what the specifications are for Toyota/Lexus antifreeze. Of course, you know that they will say "use Toyota antifreeze only". Just like Honda, BMW, and other dealers state to use their product only. But, I doubt that any auto manufacturer specifies an antifreeze that is so unique that no one else uses it or makes it.

Gary