Mass Air Flow Sensor/93ls400

bsabbath

I have had my ls400 for about a year now and it has run maybe half of the time, and it is driving my wife crazy.

Here is my problem. First of all I probably shouldn't have bought the car in the first place, but I didn't realize that parts were so expensive. The car will sometimes run for several hundred miles perfectly. It will then for no apparent reason lose power and barely run. I can put the car in low and go throught the gears and get speed, but it takes time. The cel and track lights come on and for some strange reason the air conditioner won't work. There is also some black smoke and it burns fuel like crazy. For a while it would jump back and forth from cel on cel off. When it did this it was just jumping. I ran a code by crossing the wires and got mass airflow sensor. I bought a new one. It got me to work(2miles) and did the same thing again. I thought that I would clear the code and let the computer reboot itself so I unhookedj the negative ground for a few minutes and hooked it back up. It hasn't started since. It will act like it is trying to start, but won't. Can anyone help me and save my marriage please? THANKS

I know that this is the same old answer. But if you have not done this it would be the best starting point. A full tune up including the wires, caps and rotors. The intermittent power loss may be a coil shorting out. There are two coils and apparently the coil on the drivers side of the engine seems to go first. Also may want to change the underbody fuel filter. And make sure the air filter is fairly clean. Once running use some Seafoam in the tank. I rec. using a full can in 1/4 tank of gas.

You seem to have other issues going on but getting the car started first is necessary. Search this forum for throttle body cleaning, And there are Trac/Cel issue threads here. Most are for 95's and up. There is not a lot of 93 issues, which I take as a good sign.

The ECM has default modes to override most malfunctioning components. So I think the non starting is at this basic level.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.