Ls400 Alignment Specs

pishta

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Pishta. This is great timing because I wanted to check the toe on my 91 LS as well. My friend is going to lend me a wheel alignment gauge and I'm going to see if I can get a good measurement in my garage. LOL - my steering wheel also needs to be straightened out.

Thanks Pishta. This is great timing because I wanted to check the toe on my 91 LS as well. My friend is going to lend me a wheel alignment gauge and I'm going to see if I can get a good measurement in my garage. LOL - my steering wheel also needs to be straightened out.

I did a down and dirty toe in alignment with a piece of smooth rope. I know the front and rear track are identical, so I tied off the rope to the rear sway bar and wrapped the rope around the rear of the tire tread, 1/2 way up. I then ran the tight rope through the front tire outside edge, 1/2 way up and noted the alignment of the front tires. Mine were off about 1/8 toe in on one side and almost straight on the other. I made sure the steering wheel was straight and went at the tie rods. I was able to get the wheel straight and the toe in back to 0 after a few adjustments and then pushing the car forward a few feet and then back to get the tires to adjust to the tie rod changes. Seeing the toe in is .09 +- .09, I will live with 0. My wheel has a very slight left turn correction but I blame that on the crowned roads here. A proper alignment at a shop can factor this phenom in and get it straight up. I tried laser levels and chalk lines, etc, but in a KISS moment (keep it simple, stupid) I remembered the rope trick and it has even removed a slight vibration I had at highway speed, most likely a tire scrub vibe.

Very cool, pishta. I've been reading about a few of the different mthods of checking toe using lasers, chalk lines, or rope. The following links demonstrate similar ways of checking toe using string:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread...80#post18644680

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7388