Code 22

mc teg

I pulled off the engine light codes for my 91 LS400 and it read code 22, water temp sensor signal. Could this be why my car shuts off when idling after warmed up and could this be a potential threat towards my engine?

I want to thank aarman4 for the tip on how to read the codes.

I pulled off the engine light codes for my 91 LS400 and it read code 22, water temp sensor signal. Could this be why my car shuts off when idling after warmed up and could this be a potential threat towards my engine?

I want to thank aarman4 for the tip on how to read the codes.

I am unsure how to test the water temp sensor, but it is a cheap part that might be worth the time to just change... take a look at the link I supplied for you, that is what the piece looks like....(I would order it personally, it's not too much money). If you open your hood and look at the engine, find the shiny "L" symbol and the word lexus written underneath it... At about the 8 oclock line, move 3 inches away from the letter L in the word Lexus and look straight down... You should just barely see the plug almost underneath the plastic wiring cover... Thats the one!

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Lexus-LS400-SC400-ES300...VQQcmdZViewItem

This may not be the problem, but I find that sensors this cheap are pretty easy to replace for something that should solve the problem, especially if your car appears to be running normal otherwise.

Best of luck!

PS - If you decide to replace it, make sure you use some sealant to keep the new sensor from leaking, and make sure you check for leaks after it is in for a few fillups just to make sure...