96 Es300 Starter Removal

My 1996 ES300 with 140000 miles has recently begun to exhibit the following:

- sometimes it starts normally

- other times you get nothing when you turn the ingition, no "click" or grinding of the starter at all. When this happens you can turn it off and back on a few times and generally it will make contact and start as normal.

- I had the battery checked to make sure and it is okay.

- I checked tightness of the battery terminals and they look good

- I think I need to remove the starter to investigate further

- Does anyone have a general procedure on removal of the starter?

- Any other suggestions, before I pull it off and investigate internal contact issues?

one good test is to tap your starter lightly with a hammer when it acts up. If she all of a sudden starts when you turn the key after the tap, you most likely have bad windings...replace the starter. get the fsm from the "pinned" section. it will tell you what to do.

however, starter replacement is not hard.

disconnect the battery, then remove the starter. there should be only 2-3 bolts holding it on and a few electrical connections.

one good test is to tap your starter lightly with a hammer when it acts up. If she all of a sudden starts when you turn the key after the tap, you most likely have bad windings...replace the starter. get the fsm from the "pinned" section. it will tell you what to do.

however, starter replacement is not hard.

disconnect the battery, then remove the starter. there should be only 2-3 bolts holding it on and a few electrical connections.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know how it went.