Stall/loss Of Power

vltjr

Last night my daughter's '90 LS400 stalled out, preceded by usual loss of power symptoms (headlights and dash lights dimming, gauges zeroing out). When she tried to restart it, it seemed that she had a dead battery. I went out this morning prepared to change out the battery and get it moved to the house, and much to my surprise it started right up. I should mention here that the reason I was prepared to switch batteries is that about a month ago I replaced the alternator with a Denso rebuild, and my suspicion was that I perhaps got a lemon. When I got the car home I checked the battery, and the alternator output, and everything seems okay. My daughter is understandably afraid to drive the car until I diagnose and correct whatever caused this malfunction, but I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I've been driving the car all day hoping that the problem would recur, but it has been starting and driving perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

If the alternator is dying then the Power Steering Pump is leaking on the alt. Common issue due to design flaw. if you look at the pump return hose and it is leaking the the alternator is about to be toast! mine would work when on the freeway and driving over 70 mph but anything below caused the Alt to lose power and warning light started coming on, so the car may run but the more you turn the wheel the more fluid spills.

here check this out: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=42197

• 2 years later...
Last night my daughter's '90 LS400 stalled out, preceded by usual loss of power symptoms (headlights and dash lights dimming, gauges zeroing out). When she tried to restart it, it seemed that she had a dead battery. I went out this morning prepared to change out the battery and get it moved to the house, and much to my surprise it started right up. I should mention here that the reason I was prepared to switch batteries is that about a month ago I replaced the alternator with a Denso rebuild, and my suspicion was that I perhaps got a lemon. When I got the car home I checked the battery, and the alternator output, and everything seems okay. My daughter is understandably afraid to drive the car until I diagnose and correct whatever caused this malfunction, but I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I've been driving the car all day hoping that the problem would recur, but it has been starting and driving perfectly.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Hi. Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having very similar problem and the dealer can't figure out what the issue. Thanks in advance.