New Tires At 15k?

After my 15K service, I noticed a bumpier ride than before the tires were rotated. I returned the car to the dealership, and the diagnostician said that it looked like I will soon be needing tires. (I have faithfully brought in the car for the 5, 10, and 15K services). He claims that Lexus RX350 uses high performance tires, and 15 to 20K is all you can expect. Does this sound right? He also said he would recommend putting better tires, like Michelins, on the car. I replied, "you mean the Goodyears that Lexus put on, aren't so good?"

i wouldn't doubt that the first tires aren't rated to last long.

my parents have used the same service advisor at the same lexus dealership for over a decade. even he tells us to get better tires (like michelin) and not use what was put on originally.

periodically, they have sales at the dealership, but they're still crackhead prices. i purchased 4 michelin tires for my expedition from ntb (when they were still owned by sears) that were priced at 950.00 for 745.00 after showing them the prices at discount tire. i got at least 50k out of those tires, but that's what they were rated for.

lexus wanted about the same amount 989.00 for michelins that would fit my rx. given that my expedition used all terrain suv tires that were not rated for smooth driving, perhaps the touring tires will wear out easier.

still, 15k is not very good for new tires, imo.

• 5 months later...
i wouldn't doubt that the first tires aren't rated to last long.

my parents have used the same service advisor at the same lexus dealership for over a decade. even he tells us to get better tires (like michelin) and not use what was put on originally.

periodically, they have sales at the dealership, but they're still crackhead prices. i purchased 4 michelin tires for my expedition from ntb (when they were still owned by sears) that were priced at 950.00 for 745.00 after showing them the prices at discount tire. i got at least 50k out of those tires, but that's what they were rated for.

lexus wanted about the same amount 989.00 for michelins that would fit my rx. given that my expedition used all terrain suv tires that were not rated for smooth driving, perhaps the touring tires will wear out easier.

still, 15k is not very good for new tires, imo.

Agreed. I experienced the same issue with these tires.

I have an 07 FWD RX 350 with Goodyear Eagle RS/A's and they are terrible (noisy and wear much too quick). Only have 15K miles on my RX and am replacing the wornout RS/A's (down to the tread bars) with Continental CrossContact LX's (255/55HR18) this weekend. Getting a set from Discount Tire for $850 total (including hazard warranty). Continental currently has a great deal. If you purchase a set of 4 tires you get a Magellan Roadmate 1200 GPS ($199 value). You can read many positive reviews about this tire at Tirerack.com and Discounttire.com.

Thanks

John