Avg Speed Display

Rogerm

Does anyone know the basis for the

Ave Speed Display.

Is it based on the Odometer A or B or something else... which ever is active at the time.

Running at Highway speeds of around 70 mph for an hour, mine was still only showing 19 mph.???

Roger

Ave Speed Display.

Is it based on the Odometer A or B or something else... which ever is active at the time.

Running at Highway speeds of around 70 mph for an hour, mine was still only showing 19 mph.???

Roger

I've been fiddling with mine since I bought it a few weeks ago (2000 RX300). Here's what I've figured out:

The time, average speed, and average mpg features are not tied to the odometer at all (a, b, or factory). The trip time automatically resets every time you start the engine. The average speed and average mpg are long term averages that do not reset when you turn the car on or off, but you can manually reset them (together, not individually) by holding down the display button when one of them is showing. Reset either one (ave spd or ave mpg) and both will reset. I haven't noticed whether resetting these also resets the trip time, but I don't much care about the trip time.

I reset mine so I could measure our city mpg over the course of several weeks (17 btw). When we get it on the highway for the first time this weekend, we'll reset it to check the highway mpg. I may do the same again after I've cleaned the IACV to see if makes a noticable difference.

If yours is holding steady at 19 even when you're on the highway, that's probably a very-long-term average. After you reset it, it will change by the moment, then the minute, then by the day, getting slower and slower to react to changes (hence my reset for highway driving).

Ave Speed Display.

Roger

I've been fiddling with mine since I bought it a few weeks ago (2000 RX300). Here's what I've figured out:

The time, average speed, and average mpg features are not tied to the odometer at all (a, b, or factory). The trip time automatically resets every time you start the engine. The average speed and average mpg are long term averages that do not reset when you turn the car on or off, but you can manually reset them (together, not individually) by holding down the display button when one of them is showing. Reset either one (ave spd or ave mpg) and both will reset. I haven't noticed whether resetting these also resets the trip time, but I don't much care about the trip time.

I reset mine so I could measure our city mpg over the course of several weeks (17 btw). When we get it on the highway for the first time this weekend, we'll reset it to check the highway mpg. I may do the same again after I've cleaned the IACV to see if makes a noticable difference.

If yours is holding steady at 19 even when you're on the highway, that's probably a very-long-term average. After you reset it, it will change by the moment, then the minute, then by the day, getting slower and slower to react to changes (hence my reset for highway driving).

WoW... Excellent , clear answer... I was headed in that direction, but had not gotten to the reset question , let alone an answer.

Ave Speed Display.

Roger

WoW... Excellent , clear answer... I was headed in that direction, but had not gotten to the reset question , let alone an answer.

I tried to reset the Ave. MPG but could not. The owners manual of my 2004 RX330 said this is automatically reset after each fillup of the gas tank. The ave speed did reset as you suggested by holding down the info button for a second and that instruction was also in the owners manual.