Transmission Valve Body Replacement

I was hearing a strange sound from the front axle of my '97 ES300, and after having it checked it out by a private shop was told that my transmission valve body needs replacement. The shop is recommending usage of a salvaged unit at an estimated cost of $600-800, instead of a new unit at roughly twice that. I would appreciate any advice on the wisdom of using a salvaged part, esp. something as complex as a tranny valve body. This car has only 94k miles on it and I hope to be driving it for many years to come.

Yeah, that's a tough call. Used comes with the question of how used? and new comes with the big price tag. If your gonna use keep the car for a long time I would look into used parts and find one yourself that you are comfortable with. Rather than some guy how doesn't care ordering it as cheap as they can to get some profit margin. Then you might be able to look at the car it's coming out of and how much mileage it has. Maybe even get certified or warrenteed rebuilt parts?

But at the very least I would try to get the part myself.