Help! Hiccup From Cold Start Until 25mph.

blumberm

Hello everyone,

I am new here and tried searching for this problem, but I was hoping someone can direct me better.

I have a 95 ES300 with approx. 118K miles. I recently had trouble starting-flooded it. When I tried again after a few minutes in sort of backfired (small) as it turned over. At that point the "check engine" light came on. Driving in the parking lot it seemed to "hiccup" or sputter-like it was going to die. It did not, and as soon as I went over 25mph-no problem. Update: Check engine light went out after a few days. Took it in anyway and memory read "camshaft position sensor" malfunction. I had it replaced. Next day, same problems with "hiccups" til 25mph. but no problems with start-up and no abnormal sounds.

Please help. I am looking to buy another vehicle, but I need this to be run safetly until I find one. I am not sure if this is something major. Has anyone had similar problems?

Michelle

Hello everyone,

I am new here and tried searching for this problem, but I was hoping someone can direct me better.

I have a 95 ES300 with approx. 118K miles. I recently had trouble starting-flooded it. When I tried again after a few minutes in sort of backfired (small) as it turned over. At that point the "check engine" light came on. Driving in the parking lot it seemed to "hiccup" or sputter-like it was going to die. It did not, and as soon as I went over 25mph-no problem. Update: Check engine light went out after a few days. Took it in anyway and memory read "camshaft position sensor" malfunction. I had it replaced. Next day, same problems with "hiccups" til 25mph. but no problems with start-up and no abnormal sounds.

Please help. I am looking to buy another vehicle, but I need this to be run safetly until I find one. I am not sure if this is something major. Has anyone had similar problems?

Michelle

Sounds like you might have bad gas or water in the tank. If you can purge the tank and put fresh gas in, and a fuel detergent with a water remover in it. See if that clears it up.

Thank you for responding. I am taking my car in today and I will mention your thoughts and have him check it out. The check engine light came back on when I had trouble starting. Frustrating, because by the time I get it into the shop-no more problems.

Hello everyone,

Michelle

Sounds like you might have bad gas or water in the tank. If you can purge the tank and put fresh gas in, and a fuel detergent with a water remover in it. See if that clears it up.